FAQ Defined Contribution Pension Schemes

Brendan Burgess

Founder
Thanks to the many contributors whose work I have plagiarized, and in particular – AJAPale, Conan,D53,Alan Moore & Homer

Corrections and comments welcome

In a Defined Contribution Scheme, you and your employer contribute a defined percentage of your salary to a pension fund. On retirement, the fund is used to the fund is used to provide income in retirement. The size of the fund on retirement will be determined by how much was contributed to the scheme and by the investment return achieved.

By comparison, a Defined Benefit Scheme is one which guarantees you a defined benefit e.g. 2/3rds of salary on retirement.

AVCs – Additional Voluntary Contributions
If you want to increase the size of the fund on retirement, you can make AVCs.

Broadly speaking, you get tax relief on AVCs each year up to the following percentages of your salary:

Under 30 - 15%
Under 40 - 20%
Under 50 - 25%
Over 50 - 30%

If you are aged under 30 and contributing 5% of your salary as part of the normal pension scheme, you will be able to get tax relief on an extra 10% of your salary.

What’s the significance of 31 October for AVCs ?
If you make an AVC (strictly speaking, a special employee contribution) on or before 31 October and choose to designate it as backdated to the previous tax year, you will be eligible to claim a refund of tax paid for the previous tax year.

Where should I invest my pension scheme money?
Your pension scheme should allow you a choice of where to invest your money – typically 100% equities, 100% bonds or a mix of equities and bonds.

You should invest 100% in equities when you are younger as equities are expected to outperform over the longer term. However,equities can fall and they can plummet and you must be comfortable with this.

The traditional view is that you should gradually switch to bonds as you approach retirement. On retirement, you must buy an annuity, and if the stockmarket is at a low, you will get a smaller annuity. I don’t fully agree with this. You should consider whether you are prepared to risk a reduced annuity in favour of the probability of a higher annuity. If you can afford the risk, then it is worth taking.

How much do I need to invest to get an adequate pension?

Eagle Star has provided the following figures:
If you start contributing 20% of your salary at age 30, you will get a pension of 36% of your final salary when you retire at aged 65.
If you wait unitl you are 40, you will get only 26% of your final salary.

But, a pension should form just one part of your overall financial planning. You should not look at it in isolation. Your total wealth includes your home and any other investments. (Note that many commentators disagree with the idea that you should include your home as part of your financial planning) Financial advisors suggest that you should fund your pension so that it provides 2/3rds of your salary when your retire. This is fine as long as you have plenty of spare money to invest. But it is a big mistake to scrimp and save now because you are afraid of retiring in poverty. Try to get a balance between scrimping and saving and squandering your money.

Buying your own home is an important part of long term financial planning. Do not over contribute to a pension until you have bought your own home and until you have your mortgage down to a comfortable level. It’s no use having a fantastic pension fund, if you can’t manage your mortgage repayments.

Contributing to an SSIA also makes more sense than contributing to a pension fund.

What happens if I leave employment?
If you have been in the scheme for more than 2 years…

You can leave it there and it should grow in value over time.
You can transfer it to your new employer’s pensions scheme
You can transfer it to a Buy Out Bond
You can theoretically transfer it to a PRSA, although few PRSAs will take in transfers.

What does “vesting period” mean?
Each pension scheme has a vesting period up to a maximum of 2 years. If you are in the fund for the full vesting period, your employer is obliged to give you the full benefit of both your contributions and your employer’s contributions when you leave. If you leave before the vesting period, your employer is only obliged to refund you your contributions. These will be paid directly to you less a 20% deduction for tax.

The vesting period is not the amount of time you have been employed by the company. It is the amount of time during which you have been a member of the pension scheme. If you have transferred in a value from a previous pension scheme, your vesting period will be reduced.

Where can I get more information about my pension?Your employer should provide you with a booklet summarising the scheme. There should also be a more detailed set of rules available. There should also be a firm of pension advisors who advise you on your rights and entitlements under the scheme. Many companies have knowledgeable HR and Payroll staff who may be able to answer your questions in an informal fashion. Also, Trade Unions have often negotiated the pension benefits can be helpful. Some companies allow direct access by their employees their pensions advisors. Some companies may include pension information in their new employee induction pack. A small number of companies may have pension information on their company Intranet.

What happens when I retire?
First of all, you will be entitled to a tax-free lump sum. The maximum lump sum at normal retirement age is 1.5 times your final salary if you have had 20 years service. (exception:If you are a 5% proprietary diector, you can have 25% of the fund instead)If you retire early or have less than 20 years service, you will be entitled to a lower lump sum.

The balance must be used to buy an annuity. An annuity is provided by a pension company. You give them the pension fund and they give you a monthly pension for the rest of your life. If you die early, the life company gains. If you live for a long time, the life company loses out. They take the longevity risk.

If you have made Additional Voluntary Contributions, you may move them into an Approved Retirement Fund (ARF) or Approved Minimum Retirement Fund.

Some interesting posts

Quibbles

Brendan - excellent post.

Some suggested changes:

"Where should I invest my pension scheme money?"

This says that on retirement you must buy an annuity with 75% of your money. The rules are that you must buy an annuity with all of your money other than the tax-free cash and your AVCs. The rules are more relaxed for those who control at least 5% of the shares of their employer.

"How much do I need to invest...?"

I agree with the need to look at pensions as part of your total wealth, and that there is no point making pension contributions if you cannot afford your mortgage. However, your house should only be considered as part of your total (retirement) wealth if you realistically intend to sell it (or borrow against it) when you retire: very few people do. Also, although it is hard to generalise about pension contribution amounts, if you and your employer are not contributing at least 10% between you from age 40 on, you will not have enough unless you have other significant assets as well.

d

Re: Quibbles

d53

Thanks for your comments.

I have made amended it by removing the reference to 75%. I got it right later in the post!

for the moment, I have noted that some believe you should omit your home from your financial planning. I think this needs a separate "Great Financial Debates" type thread to which I will link this point. I might also incorporate it into a "How much should I be contributing?" key post.

As a summary, I don't want to get too much into the strategy.

Brendan

If you leave before the vesting period, ..................

But if you have been in an Occupational Pension Scheme for two years or more in total (including previous employments) you are entitled to take the employer's contributions with you to the next employment, even if you have not completed the vesting period of the current employer.

I am nearly sure that's correct since 2002, I think.

Can anyone confirm that?

Thanks Slash

Would that not be clear from the subsequent paragraph:

The vesting period is not the amount of time you have been employed by the company. It is the amount of time during which you have been a member of the pension scheme. If you have transferred in a value from a previous pension scheme, your vesting period will be reduced.

Yes, point taken. Nonetheless, It is such an important point that i think it is worth spelling it out, as, in some cases, there will be no vesting period.

Excellent write up Brendan.

As a guide I have found this helpful for
How much do I need to invest to get an adequate pension?
This an article from the Sunday Business Post andcan be used as a general guide.
[broken link removed]

Other valuable questions to give more of an insight into, as I am on rocky ground about it.
Lumping on just before you retire. ie: If you can afford it, maximise your pension contributions so that you can get the maximum out of your pension. Max out your contribution, instead of letting it be taxed. You should gain in your pension ??
Also can you give more details about ARFs. Apart from directors, you need a certain amount to be in your fund or is it based on your possible income or wealth ??

Thanks Tall Chappy

The "How much do I need to save" definitely needs a separate thread. It's on my to do list.

I am trying to keep the pensions FAQs as short as possible. I think ARFs merit their own separate FAQ as well. In the meantime, there is some information on ARFs in the Guide to Savings and INvestments

Brendan

Sorry Brendan

Corrections noted and implemented - BB
"You should invest 100% in equities when you are younger as equities are expected to outperform over the longer term"

Brendan, minor issue here which you might decide not to change. You could probably argue this one for days but although I agree in principal that equities will probably result in the best performing fund, it's not eveyones cup of tea. There has been plenty of whinging over the last few years on AAM about the backside dropping out of pension funds. Well there wouldn't be whinging if people understand their risk profile. So I might rephrase to equities tend to give a better return over the long term but you should understood equities can plummet as well as fall. I normally ask the question when setting up a pension, "if your fund drops 30% over the next year are you going to feel aggrieved and hold it against me personally". If the answer is yes, they shouldn't have a fund that is 100% equities. Hence, most people lean towards a basket of asset classes but usually weighted towards equities.

"The traditional view is that you should gradually switch to bonds as you approach retirement. On retirement, you must buy an annuity, and if the stockmarket is at a low, you will get a smaller annuity. I don’t fully agree with this. You should consider whether you are prepared to risk a reduced annuity in favour of the probability of a higher annuity. If you can afford the risk, then it is worth taking."

It's a good point but I personally find that if people are depending on their pension fund for income in retirement they tend to want to play safe in the closing years.

"How much do I need to invest to get an adequate pension?"

I'm sure Eagle Star wouldn't mind you using some of their sales stuff which I'm going to quote. Might be an idea to put something like this in. Scary figures.

Pension Produced By a 20% annual contribution at 65:

Starting at 30 - Pension of 36% of final salary
40 - 26%
50 - 17%
60 - 6%

Assumes salary escalation of 3% p.a. fund growth of 6% per annum, post retirment investment income of 5% per annum. The pension would increase by 3% in retirement

Re: Sorry Brendan

Alan

They are great corrections and I have incorporated them all to some extent.

I will look again at facts vs. opinion. I might remove my opinions from it and provide a link to threads which discuss the issues. Or alternatively, I might move the opinions/strategy issues down to an Appendix.

I look forward to your comments on the Defined Benefit FAQ.

Brendan

Win-Win

Personally I dont see the pension providers losing out.

If I have 1,000,000 in my fund at retirement and they have an anuity rate of 2.5%, they will pay me 25,000/year.
So there is no risk of the provider losing any money unless I draw the pension for over 40 years and the lump sum has no increase over that time....not very likely.
The other side of the coin is that I die after 1st payment and they stop making payments(assuming no spouse).
A nice little earner!

Re: >>Defined Contribution Pension Schemes - FAQ

hi

have u considered the a ARF option as opposed to the annuity option at retirement?

Re: Key Post: Defined Contribution Pension Schemes - FAQ

It might be an idea to update the maximum contribution table to reflect the increase to 35% for over 55s and 40% for over 60s.

Regards
Homer

A couple of points that are not clear.
You could explain the confusion between a Defined Contributory Pension Scheme and a Defined Benefit Scheme. The conditions of payment seem the same.
I posted a thread a couple of weeks ago which went on a bit, but no one was able to tell me why the trustees advised me to convert my Defined Benefit Scheme to an anuity. They also told me I could not take out a ARF with this scheme, and that I could not shop around.

i have 10 years pension 'frozen' in what was at the time a state organisation (Telecom). I worked there between 1990 and 2000. I am now in another state organisation (national university) should I transfer my Telecom pension over to the university one?

Just looking at this key post possibly need to be updated seeing Defined Benefit Schemes for paye workers can now also avail of ARF on retirement,

Back