Defective shed

Uptheyard21

Hi,

We are bidding on a house with very obvious structural defects to a detached shed. Cracks narrow at the bottom, large at the top.

House appears unaffected. Will have an engineer review.

I am curious from an insurance perspective, we would have to acknowledge it but do insurance companies care about a detached shed? Can we exclude the shed from the policy? Will it be hard to find insurers?

If remedied the defects, could we then get insurance to include the shed?

If we knocked the shed and rebuilt or bought a steel shed, would this then be insurable?

How much is a shed to knock down and rebuild as you want it?

It would have to be a very big shed and a very small house for it to be an issue.

Brendan

I'm thinking 15k min to knock and rebuild.

Not insignificant but if I did it, I assume insurance would be fine?
Steel shed, brick/block shed, or timber shed with tar-paper roof?
Cavity block shed currently.

Suspect issue with slab or lack of foundation. I prefer block shed as opposed to steel but if a steel shed could sit on existing base I would be open to it.

I don't think that an insurer will care about it if it's completely detached/separate from the house.
We are bidding on a house with very obvious structural defects to a detached shed. Cracks narrow at the bottom, large at the top.

House appears unaffected.
How would the house be affected if the shed is completely (?) separate from the property?
Do you mean subsidance or something that might affect more of the property/land than just the shed?

I don't think that an insurer will care about it if it's completely detached/separate from the house.

How would the house be affected if the shed is completely (?) separate from the property?
Do you mean subsidance or something that might affect more of the property/land than just the shed?
Quick check of insurance providers and its one of the first questions you are asked around cracks to buildings, even outbuildings

So it seems like it's a block straight away. Although I think (to be validated) we can remedy it without knocking. I'm concerned we will never be able to insure that part of the site.

No such cracks in the house, which would suggest no foundations on shed, just a slab. Not my professional opinion so would need to be validated by engineer if we were successful.

As above, at the moment it sounds like it's not suitable for use as a shed and has little or no insurance value to merit it's inclusion in the cover.

Assuming it's a small shed and was built as an exempted development, knock it ASAP (or you'll end up learning to live with it) and once you build the new shed, adjust your insurance cover accordingly.

Quick check of insurance providers and its one of the first questions you are asked around cracks to buildings, even outbuildings

So it seems like it's a block straight away. Although I think (to be validated) we can remedy it without knocking. I'm concerned we will never be able to insure that part of the site.

No such cracks in the house, which would suggest no foundations on shed, just a slab. Not my professional opinion so would need to be validated by engineer if we were successful.
I'd be very wary of making any assumptions if you have no experience or knowledge of structures. Also what is the size of the shed. I've a concrete shed, its 6ft x 10ft and holds some garden tools. A friend has a concrete "shed" too. He can fit a large ride on mower, pool table, fridges, couch, TV and sound system in it.

In the first instance you are not a buyer, just a bidder. So first port of call is the estate agent and ask for information.

If the answer does not satisfy you, as if you can send a surveyor in to assess it. This will probably be about €300.

As for the insurance asking about cracks to buildings, its not a block, its simply information gathering to assess it for insurance. If you declare a crack they will ask for information and possibly a professional opinion. If that opinion is that it is not material you have no issue.

I would suspect that if its a small tool shed, its of no real consequence.

I'd be very wary of making any assumptions if you have no experience or knowledge of structures. Also what is the size of the shed. I've a concrete shed, its 6ft x 10ft and holds some garden tools. A friend has a concrete "shed" too. He can fit a large ride on mower, pool table, fridges, couch, TV and sound system in it.

In the first instance you are not a buyer, just a bidder. So first port of call is the estate agent and ask for information.

If the answer does not satisfy you, as if you can send a surveyor in to assess it. This will probably be about €300.

As for the insurance asking about cracks to buildings, its not a block, its simply information gathering to assess it for insurance. If you declare a crack they will ask for information and possibly a professional opinion. If that opinion is that it is not material you have no issue.

I would suspect that if its a small tool shed, its of no real consequence.
Thanks.

Not sure exact size but a car could fit in there so more than a tool shed.

Reasonably sure it will be considered material. Not talking hairline cracks here.

Certainly won't make assumptions but if I consider the possible outcomes here, one is definitely it could be remedied which means we have a stable structure. I'm presuming an insurance company won't cover that structure if there is a 'history'.

In that scenario I can consider the risk of it being rebuilt in the future. I am more worried about the personal liability element of home insurance. Not sure what the worst case is here but a visitor injures themselves in the shed. Because the shed is not covered we are exposed to an injury claim.. I think?!

Correct, your only likely problem is if you make a claim for theft from the shed. It won't impact your insurance as it covers primarily the main building. Shouldn't be an issue

Thanks.

Not sure exact size but a car could fit in there so more than a tool shed.

Reasonably sure it will be considered material. Not talking hairline cracks here.

Certainly won't make assumptions but if I consider the possible outcomes here, one is definitely it could be remedied which means we have a stable structure. I'm presuming an insurance company won't cover that structure if there is a 'history'.

In that scenario I can consider the risk of it being rebuilt in the future. I am more worried about the personal liability element of home insurance. Not sure what the worst case is here but a visitor injures themselves in the shed. Because the shed is not covered we are exposed to an injury claim.. I think?!
secure it, in that case. If nobody can get into it you won't get a claim. My neighbour & I share a brick built shed & he got a reinforced steel door on it to prevent tresspassers and a heavy duty bolt - problem solved.

Thanks all.

I am probably overthinking it!

If we are successful, I will report back with anything I learn.

Reactions: Leo
Back