Deeds - How long to register

C

charlesanto

Hi,
I hope someone might be able to shed some light...

I bought a house 1 year ago, joint purchase with my then fiancée...
Things didn't work out and we've decided to go our separate ways.

The plan is that i buy her out and we've been working thru this since January.

The last development was in May, when we discovered that the original solicitor who had acted on our behalf when we bought the house was still sitting on the deeds.

Now, I have no idea what’s involved from then. I am guessing that the deeds must go to the land registration, and then they get passed to the lender. The ex’s solicitor will then drawn down the deeds, my solicitor then agrees with hers a sum for which they’ll pass the deeds over, then my solicitor goes about uploading them to my new lender.

Have I got the sequence of events correct?

How much longer is this lightly to take?

Thanks in advance for any feedback,
Charles.

1. Find out whether (a) solicitor is actually sitting on the deeds or (b) if dealing has been lodged for registration and is simply wending its potentially slow and tortous way through Land Registry. If it is Land Registry.

2. Once actually know the position - work from there. Either (a) put bomb under solicitor or (b) ask solicitor to seek to expedite the dealing.

3. Then you do deal. Your solicitor ( either current or new) confirms the deal with ex's solicitor and agrees on what needs to be done - current property valuation, current mortgage outstanding, agreed price to be paid etc.,etc and agree on a time frame to complete.

4. You arrange your finances and on an agreed date when your funds are available, solicitors exchange necessary paperwork for funds. Your solicitor discharges old mortgage and puts in place new mortgage. Stamps it if necessary and lodges it with Transfer etc,etc in Land Registry. You take sole possession and ex no longer has any interest in the property.

In very simple terms.

mf

You do not have to wait for your application to complete in the Land Registry to conduct a new matter in respect of your property.

Once a dealing number from the Land Registry has been received you can proceed with the new matter.

Back