Deeds From Bank

TD was probably looking for easy option to get out of it, without doing very much.

Personally, I think every instance where the Banks drag their heels should be reported to the FSO, but really ... there should be agreement across all of the Banks to deliver title deeds within X days of the request being receiverd, much like the Current Account Switcher Code.

Just revisiting this topic. What do people do with their deeds ? My mum has hers with the solicitor. Hes in his 70s and works in a single handed practice. Says they are stored off site but Im wondering if anything were to happen to him would they be easy to locate ? Is it ok to store them at home perhaps invest in a fire proof box in the attic ? we all will need for our relatives to access deeds easily in the event of our demise. Any consensus on this ?

Ideally, every client wants someone else to hold their deeds, preferably for free, and for that someone to be liable should the deeds go missing.

Practically, for most solicitors, secure storage comes at a cost and most of my colleagues are moving away from holding deeds for the reasons outlined. Similarly, banks don't want that responsibility either, once the mortgage is paid off. There are storage facilities available, but they come at a cost.

My advice to my clients, once they have their Deed back after redeeming a mortgage, is to have their Deeds and associated documents reviewed by a solicitor and isolate those that are easily replaced and those that are irreplaceable.

The simplest title to any property would be, typically, a Land Registry property, built before 1963, ( introduction of Planning legislation), with no extensions or development issues ( so no planning paperwork) owned by a single person ( so no Family Law issues). The only document of title will be a Folio which is readily available from the Property Registration Authority.

These titles are few and far between - even a registered title won't usually be enough on it's own to show title on sale- there will usually be, at the very least, original planning documents that would be very difficult to replace.

With an unregistered title ( think of a bundle of deed neatly tied up with pink ribbon) , the irreplaceable Deeds can be copied but, obviously, cannot be replaced if lost or destroyed. The copies would be very helpful in the event that the title had to be re-constituted.

I recommend that clients take copies of their Deeds and, typically, store their originals in a fireproof safe and give a copy to a close friend or relative for safekeeping.

Failing that, whenever any one asks what would be a starting point to locate missing deeds when it seems that neither a bank or a solicitor is holding them, I suggest they check (a) the Hot Press or (b) the top of the wardrobe - I've had more clients confirm that the deeds were in either of those places than anywhere else!

mf

Waiting 11 months on deeds from Start mortgages. Who should I complain to about this? Their first reply stated the account number was wrong and it wasn't. So the second request included a photocopy of a letter they sent me with the account number on it and not one word heard from them.

Back