deed of Discharge.

Meath Lady

I need to get a deed of discharge in order to release my deeds from my mortgage lender. They have suggested getting a solicitor to do this. Anyone had this done recently that could give me an idea of cost. thanks

This doesn't really make sense. Some lenders will do an e-discharge of their charge at no cost to you. some won't. But in my experience, they will all release the deeds without doing a deed of discharge of the mortgage and leave you to deal with it at some stage in the future, when you wish to do it. Unless it's the council, who are a law unto themselves and charge a fee to seal the vacate, which I think is completely unfair. Anyway it is a very small matter for a solicitor to deal with- if I had a client come in to me to do it, I would probably do it for a minimal fee- you will also have to pay for the land registry fees- €40.

Oh, ok, well the charges vary from council to council. They will insist you have a solicitor draft the vacate ( simple) and send it to them to be sealed. they will then charge a sealing fee, it could be from €50 to €150 depending on the council. Then they return it to your solicitor who will send it to either the Land registry ( €40 fee) or the Registry of deeds ( €20) depending on your title. I would probably charge a fee of 75 plus VAT for this, so check your own solicitor or someone recommended to you. It is not a difficult matter, but just a bit of work involved.

I find it very annoying that the council charge people to seal the vacate. These are people who have paid off their loans over many years and really shouldnt have to pay an additional fee. Many of them are OAPs.

Remember you don't actually need to do this, unless you are selling or transferring. Let the next generation do it for you if you are on a limited income. Let the council hold your deeds for you, like a free safe keeping service !

Back