decorating and tax returns?

superfan

i am looking to get a few rooms in my house decorated,is this an allowable expense when declaring rental income,i'm almost certain it is but maybe someone on here can confirm?
obviously i will need receipts,do i have to get a registered/full time decorator to do the job?
the only reason i ask is because i was thinking of getting a friend of mine to do it who is unemployed at the moment,he would be more than happy to get the work/money.if he did me out a receipt on completion of the job would that be sufficient for the revenue when it came to declaring the job as an expense?

Yes - It is deductible

Yes - The arrangement you're proposing would be fine from your perspective. I'd make sure to have the receipts for the paint too just to copperfasten things. How your friend treats the income is his business.

Yes - It is deductible

Yes - The arrangement you're proposing would be fine from your perspective. I'd make sure to have the receipts for the paint too just to copperfasten things. How your friend treats the income is his business.

Someone asked me ages ago, but I didnt know the answer.

What about the same arrangement, but the person doing the work is a relative of the landlord? Does it work the same way.

It shouldn't be an issue for the property owner.

If it was me, I'd make sure that I had receipts and that the cost of the painting stacked up (i.e. arms length pricing was applied) but there's nothing prohibiting it.

It shouldn't be an issue for the property owner.

If it was me, I'd make sure that I had receipts and that the cost of the painting stacked up (i.e. arms length pricing was applied) but there's nothing prohibiting it.

Thanks. I couldnt find any info on that anywhere at the time.

, but the person doing the work is a relative of the landlord? Does it work the same way.

Nothing wrong with that. But the landlord himself cannot charge for his own labour should he do the painting.

Back