Declaring Offshore Income

faketales

Since I returned to Ireland in 2017 I have been earning interest on savings held abroad. I have now transferred that savings back to Ireland and want to declare it as foreign income.

I realise I probable should have been doing this on a yearly basis.

The interest / offshore income is relatively small <700euro per year. I understand I will pay income tax on this.

How do I declare?

Can I log into Revenue online and edit my income tax returns for the last 4 years. I think I only have a Statement of Liability for 2017 and 2019. Does that mean I haven't done an income tax return for 2018 and 2020?

Or do I need to write to follow these instructions on Revenue and "make a disclosure" of foreign income by writing in? Cant post the link for some reason.

Is it EU deposit interest? If it is EU deposit interest, you might have to pay DIRT rather than income tax. Also, if you already paid tax in the foreign country, you can normally deduct that from what you can pay.

Is it EU deposit interest? If it is EU deposit interest, you might have to pay DIRT rather than income tax. Also, if you already paid tax in the foreign country, you can normally deduct that from what you can pay.

It's Canadian. I have not paid tax on the interest as Canada allows a certain level of tax free investment. My 'investment' was just in a saving account earning interest.

Back