Declaring addidional 2013 income

acorn1984

Hi all,

At the likely risk of coming across as an absolute amateur, here is my situation. Any advice would be greatly appreciated:

While working as a PAYE worker during 2013, I undertook some additional work on the side with a governmental body earning a few thousand. These earnings were subject to 20% tax-at-source deductions. I had registered for income tax, and have been sent a reminder as regards the 11S form a few months ago; regrettably, I am only looking through this form now. I can't seem to make sense of the paye anytime system, and am unable to use eform 12, as I was 'registered for income tax during that year'. Can anybody advice as to how I go about declaring my additional income and paying the remaining tax due?

Many thanks!

You have registered for income tax which means that are now in the self assessment system. When you are in the self-assessment system you can't file a Form 12 as this is for individuals not in self-assessment (normally people with PAYE income only). You will need to file a Form 11 (of which there are variations including the 11S above).

If you want to file a paper form 11 and have the Revenue calculate your tax you are too late as this had to be filed by 31st August. You should register for ROS and file your form 11 electronically. This will also let you know how much you owe and the payments mechanisms.

For 2014 and following years if you don't have non-PAYE income you should de-register for income tax using a form on the Revenue website. Remember that being registered for income tax doesn't have its normal meaning and it means that you have non-PAYE income exceeding a certain amount.

You should register for ROS now as it is a three part process and takes about 10 days or so.

Thanks so much for the info. I have registered for ROS now. Do you have any idea what the threshold is that necessitates income tax registration? I can't seem to find that information on the revenue website.

Thanks.

€3,174 is the magic figure. Full details of what a chargeable person is here. A chargeable person is one that is required to file a Form 11 for any number of reasons. .[broken link removed]

Back