Decking - difference between red deal and pine?

yop

Decking - difference between red deal and pine? Is there a difference between them?

Thank you

Same thing yop, just a different name for pine. Softwood.

Is it Squire? I thought red deal would be stronger than pine, I know they are all softwoods but I had it in my head that red deal is a better timber!

The reason I ask is that I have got quotes for 8.50 for pine board (5" x 4.2m) and 12.50 for red deal, same size!
Some difference!

there is different types of pine...red deal (scots pine) is considered the best and thus is more expensive of the soft woods, thers also white deal, yellow pine, white pine..

If looking for a long term finish, go for a hardwood..more expensive, but lasts a long time and is more durable

Last edited:
The reason I ask is that I have got quotes for 8.50 for pine board (5" x 4.2m) and 12.50 for red deal, same size!
Some difference!

Very strange. I may be corrected here by an expert but pine is the generic term. Red deal or yellow deal primarily comes from the scots pine but also from pine grown in siberia and northern europe. The slower growing the timber then the more dense it is.

Like any timber, you can get good and bad quality but basically it is a softwood.

I'd ask your supplier to explain the price difference and get some samples of the timber for each. For that price difference you should be clearly be able to tell the difference in quality.

Thats what I thought.

It was quoted as "Scandanavian Pine" for the 8.50,
But the other guys have it described as "Scandanavian Treated Decking Timber - Red Deal" for the 12.50!

I wish i could get hardwood, but its too dear lad.

brooks have a 20/25% off all decking at the moment, i think they do hardwood...no affliation by the way

Anything outdoor need to be hardwood in this country. Softwood is fine on the continent where they have a different atmosphere to here - they have a dry cold where as we have a damp cold (getting damper and colder each year by the looks of things).

Once is enough to be undertaking a large project therefore you will save money in the long run by using hardwood starting off - same goes for decking, windows, doors, railings, gates etc

Totally agree with this post and after waiting a bit longer to get the more expensive wood for my decking I'm delighted with the results....well worth the wait in the long run. Go for quality on something that you plan to use for the longer term, it's well worth it.

Anything outdoor need to be hardwood in this country. Softwood is fine on the continent where they have a different atmosphere to here - they have a dry cold where as we have a damp cold (getting damper and colder each year by the looks of things).

Once is enough to be undertaking a large project therefore you will save money in the long run by using hardwood starting off - same goes for decking, windows, doors, railings, gates etc

Totally agree with this post and after waiting a bit longer to get the more expensive wood for my decking I'm delighted with the results....well worth the wait in the long run. Go for quality on something that you plan to use for the longer term, it's well worth it.

What did you buy in the end lad? What sort of pricing and where did you end up buying?

Back