Decking boards starting to rot after 6yrs

Damp soil will speed up the degradation of wood, treated or not.
This will be your decking installers wiggle-room.
ah ya I know that Irish Garden. I have definitely shortened the wood from putting in the raised bed. I'm aware of that now. And I know the deck installer will say that anyway.

I'm hoping when I clear out the bed that the subframe hasn't been hit as bad.

I thought about just getting the ribbed boards and putting them down on top but I can't see it working.

However, I think my best option is to strip back the current stain and try to find a product that does not peel every year. This is also giving me a big headache. What is the best way to treat boards?

Deck oil/Deck Stain/Regular wood stain?

I find the Ronseal Fenselife to be excellent on my fence

what is the difference in performance between a decking oil and a decking seal?

The original timber quality is of as much importance as the actual preservative used; my own deck was a southern yellow pine, CCA treated which appears to have been quite durable, the boards themselves were quite dense and the growth rings very "tight" (I think the timber was of scandanavian origin). It might be worth lifting a complete board to examine the joists beneath and establish the overall condition of your deck. I'd be inclined to do a bit more probing before I'd consider taking any of this up and replacing.

I've actually decided against taking up any of the boards and also the idea of putting down the ribbed boards on top (stupid idea now that I think of it)
The boards overall are in perfect nick apart from the ends at the flower bed. If I can treat that area and hopefully there is not too much rot in the frame that side, I'll strenghten it up and get a seat box built the length of the deck aside the fence and do away with the flower bed altogether.
I'll know more Fri evening when I get to taking out the soil

Back