Debt in Ireland, living in UK....Please help!

Bumblebug85

I moved to the UK in March to be with my other half who is English.
However, in doing so I left behind me:

Credit Card Debt - 1000euro
Overdraft- 1000euro
AIB Loan - 3265euro

Chill Money - Approx 8000euro

The two loans I have been paying steadily for a number of years and relate to college debts(AIB) and a car loan (Chill). I sold my car in Ireland at a loss which paid off a portion of the Chill debt but I am struggling badly to keep up with it all.

It seems that all my money here goes to my Irish Account every month. And I rarely if ever have any disposable income here. It is also so difficult to time transferring GBP over to my IRL account monthly to cover the payments as they seem to go out at varying dates each month and I only get paid here on the last working day of each month.

I am drowning in it, nearly half my wages per month get transferred over there and I'm now in arrears. I can barely cover rent and fuel here for the month once that goes out.

In total I pay monthly to my Irish account:

568EURO to Chill.ie
84.36EURO to AIB Loan
80-100EURO per month to my AIB Account to cover my Vodafone bill as Vodafone will not release me from my contract or change billing to my UK account.

That alone is around 750.00 per month to my Irish account.

I just don't know what to do anymore and it's really affecting my health. I am constantly worried and crying. Most recently I have been having panic attacks as a result of the anxiety. Which results in further expenses with doctors visits and medication. I have enormous guilt over the pressure my Fiance is under when he has to cover our utilities alone at times, and even our rent.

Does anyone out there have any advice, guidance or solutions?
I just want to be ok again.

What address do they have for you and who lives there ? If you were living in rented accommodation here and have not notified them of your UK address then you could have breathing space at least.

From the repayments you are making it looks like you are paying everything off within 18 months.
Have you spoken to any of them about extending the term of the respective loans?

Hi there

Yes I have and they won't budge unfortunately. I have found both AIB and Chill to be extremely rigid and unhelpful.

Hi there

Yes I have and they won't budge unfortunately. I have found both AIB and Chill to be extremely rigid and unhelpful.

That's because you are paying them what they want. They don't care if you are hungry as long as you are paying. They will be much more flexible if you stop paying them and then come to an arrangement with them that is in line with your income. Be firm with them and give them what you can afford. They will probably huff and puff but that's what their arrears departments are paid to do. The downside of restructured payments is your credit rating will be affected.

Yeah and Chill and AIB have that in abundance .....
A la carte integrity. We're good at that in Ireland.
You're integrity is like your virginity; once it's gone it's gone. It certainly should not change depending on the integrity level of the party you are dealing with.

Hi there

I think a person must prioritise one's living expenses over one's debts in this case. If you stop paying, which I recommend, you should get their attention. I would seek out the help and advise of the equivalant UK of MABS. You need to have a financial plan. Pay your utility bills etc and what is remaining can go to pay off the debt.

I've a feeling Vodaphone will not chase you. They'll just let the contract lapse.

The CC will likely write off interest. An arrangement where you get this and agree to pay off the balance at a reasonable level should be achievable.

Ditto the car loan.

In the meantime put the money aside to pay the debt once you have your creditors arrangement in place.

Best of luck. And post back on here for support in your actions.

Back