Debt collector what do I do

pippylongsocks

I owe 30 Euro but have never ever refused to pay it ... I just can't pay it in one go but offered the 2 Euro a month ...they wont accept that so now they have debt collector about to come to my home . I'm a pensioner and have other money issues I'm clearing off. all I'm left with at end of month is 2 Euro ...what can I do ? many thanks for any advice or help in anyway .
PS That is 30 Euro ...not 300 Euro

Last edited:
When the debt collector calls don't answer the door. Refuse to engage except in writing and tell them you will call the police if they presist.

When the debt collector calls don't answer the door. Refuse to engage except in writing and tell them you will call the police if they presist.
Thank you for your reply ...however I'm wondering what will "engaging with them in writing " result in ?

pippylongsocks - Its terrible to read this, these people sending a debt collector to your home for a mere €30 :(

I would advise you to go to MABS - money advice and budgeting service, they would be one in your nearest large town. They will be in a position to deal with these people.

€30? What kind of organisation chases €30? Crazy, mad, insane.

Would MABS really engage with a €30 creditor? Would some charity like SVDP help out in a case like this?

Hi pippylongsocks

What's the €30 in relation to?

Are you based in Dublin?

Last edited:
pippylongsocks - Its terrible to read this, these people sending a debt collector to your home for a mere €30 :(

I would advise you to go to MABS - money advice and budgeting service, they would be one in your nearest large town. They will be in a position to deal with these people.
It's a very small amount to get MABS involved , however it's a good suggestion and I might look into it ....thank you

€30? What kind of organisation chases €30? Crazy, mad, insane.

Would MABS really engage with a €30 creditor? Would some charity like SVDP help out in a case like this?
Hi pippylongstockings

What's the €30 in relation to?

Are you based in Dublin?
A well known BIG tv company .... I cancelled my monthly sub and they explained I owe the money ...I told them I would pay ..now they keep telling me they cut me off and they want their money in full ....I'm not refusing to pay it but just can't pay it in full .

pippylongsocks

It's ridiculous that you're being harassed like this over €30. I'll pay the bill - Send me a private message and we'll sort out the logistics.

I'm taking you at your word that this is a legitimate story.

pippylongsocks

It's ridiculous that you're being harassed like this over €30. I'll pay the bill - Send me a private message and we'll sort out the logistics.

I'm taking you at your word that this is a legitimate story.
Thank you for your very kind offer .... but I will just have to deal with these people and I know it's hard to believe but this story is the Gods honest truth .

I wanted to offer to pay the bill earlier, I know you are being honest, if you were a chancer you be asking for a lot more than €30, those people are just horrendous for doing this to a pensioner.

You've also seen the other post where she's owes €9,000 on a visa card, right?!

Do nothing OP. No one will litigate for €30 which is the only way that a creditor can get you to pay up.

You've also seen the other post where she's owes €9,000 on a visa card, right?!
Is there a problem ...with my asking for help to get my situation sorted out ?? I thought this forum was for getting advice and help from others who may have landed in financial trouble also or have experience in dealing with this sort of thing ...or are you here to judge people ? I find this upsetting ...I have enough pressure on me at the moment without you making unhelpful ignorant and thoughtless comments . This is my first time to go on a forum like this and with your attitude I think it will be my last ..

A poster had said your case seemed like a genuine one as they saw you being chased for €30. I was merely pointing out that there was more than just €30 debt to your story. Its a perfectly valid point to make.

A poster had said your case seemed like a genuine one as they saw you being chased for €30. I was merely pointing out that there was more than just €30 debt to your story. Its a perfectly valid point to make.
It's not what you said ..it's how you said it ...and you are well aware what you were saying ....I believe if you have nothing nice / helpful to say then say nothing at all. You know nothing about me or my circumstances and why I'm now in this situation .

pippylongsocks - If you make a more detailed post in the money make over section, you will get far more helpful advice on how to manage your debts. Others with far more serious debts than yours have benefited greatly from that forum.

pippylongsocks - If you make a more detailed post in the money make over section, you will get far more helpful advice on how to manage your debts. Others with far more serious debts than yours have benefited greatly from that forum.
I know you're going to think I'm a big ejjit but I'm lost trying to find my way around this :) but thanks very much for your advice

Back