Debt agency contacting you at old address?

In this post from a few years ago, you asked about not paying a Credit Card debt at all, and you were appalled that "with the level of white collar crime in this country" someone who didn't pay their debts who had a judgement against them would have it in the public domain.

It seems that your problem is with a Bank of Scotland/Halifax credit card.

Very unlikely that interest charges would bring it from €5k to €20k unless you paid nothing at all over a very long period. Even late payment charges would be unlikely to bring it up to that.

However, if they had to take legal action against you for recovery, they would certainly have added significantly to the cost.

And pitting one small fish against another one is no longer currency here either. People are far more aware now, not just me

This really is the strangest thread. If you have paid back the loan in full, then the bank/debt collection agent would not be contacting you. From previous posts, about DRO you can't or don't want to pay your debts. ( not sure which)

If its the latter, Your options are limited. What happened to your decision to apply for bankruptcy? Though it's a small amount, that's what you said you would do. Seemed odd to me.

I don't get the rant about banks and the crusade to undo all injustices done but thats your opinion.

In this post from a few years ago, you asked about not paying a Credit Card debt at all, and you were appalled that "with the level of white collar crime in this country" someone who didn't pay their debts who had a judgement against them would have it in the public domain.

It seems that your problem is with a Bank of Scotland/Halifax credit card.

Very unlikely that interest charges would bring it from €5k to €20k unless you paid nothing at all over a very long period. Even late payment charges would be unlikely to bring it up to that.

However, if they had to take legal action against you for recovery, they would certainly have added significantly to the cost.

Brendan, if you had looked up my posts properly you would have seen that I have more than one debt! In my reply above I didn't say anywhere that the 5k was one single debt. I had 2 credit cards during the boom (and my youthful) years. Cumulative interest on 18% interest credit cards over a number of years (since getting the card) does eventually bring it up to 20k.

Can't really see a judge awarding costs against me..

Since you are the owner of this website you really should make an effort to look up posts properly if you are to start insinuating what debts I have and where.

Since you are the owner of this website you really should make an effort to look up posts properly if you are to start insinuating what debts I have and where.

Quite the opposite in fact. I did say "It seems that your problem is with a Bank of Scotland/Halifax credit card. "

You should post the full details and not go off on rants.

You are asserting that a €5k debt became €20k. I won't believe this until you give us the information to show how it happened

Brendan

Quite the opposite in fact. I did say "It seems that your problem is with a Bank of Scotland/Halifax credit card. "

You should post the full details and not go off on rants.

You are asserting that a €5k debt became €20k. I won't believe this until you give us the information to show how it happened

Brendan

I don't see how they are rants... it is all very relevant to my personal situation. It seems to me that you fail to see the sea change that has occurred in Ireland- people are not in fear of the banks now and people are clear on what happened- i.e. where the money came in from and why.

You and I won't ever agree on this and I'm not interesting in arguing any further. This is your website and I will leave you to it, and say the best of luck to you all.

The PI Bill hasn't even come into force yet, 5 years on, which says it all. That it is deliberate on the part of the government who gladly bought into the EU's austerity drive and do everything as they are told to do and yet at the same time they are getting away with it. Who is calling for speedier implementation of this legislation? Two names spring to mind- Jill Kerby and Eddie Hobbs.

The divide as I see it is between the conservatives and those who think the little guy should pay, and those of us who supported Morgan Kelly in 2010 when he said we should default and recover more quickly. It is so apparent all the time whenever you talk to people and sadly I have to interact with lots of camp 1 on a regular basis.
Camp 1 tend to believe Enda Kenny when he says that ATM machines would close and that we would be a 3rd world country if we did what Morgan Kelly advised.

And you have some seemingly intelligent people in Camp 1. So what hope, for the country, the people, then?

Sounds like a rant to me.

I don't see how they are rants... it is all very relevant to my personal situation. It seems to me that you fail to see the sea change that has occurred in Ireland- people are not in fear of the banks now and people are clear on what happened- i.e. where the money came in from and why.

You and I won't ever agree on this and I'm not interesting in arguing any further. This is your website and I will leave you to it, and say the best of luck to you all.

You are ranting.

People that did nothing more than buy a house are living in fear of their future and what the banks want from them or may want from them.

Meanwhile, you try to blame the banks for your woes. You had two credit cards - you applied for them, you used them, not the bank.

Rather than take responsibility, you try to blame the banks, the government and your youth.

I am sure if you wanted to engage with your creditors you could work something out. But going by you account of your conversation with MABS-it's everybody elses fault but yours or you are right and everybody else is wrong....

The circumstances may have changed but the game is the same-if you borrow money-you are obliged to pay it back.

The other thing to note marfsmal and it appears to be the bone of contention for you, is that there is always a cost to borrowing money. Credit cards happen to be a particularly expensive way to do so.

You claim callow youth as the reason for your predicament but this problem would not have happened suddenly or overnight, so your claim is disingenuous - you chose to ignore the lesson of your early credit card bills (and frankly the content of the agreement) and now find that the cost to you is considerably more than you borrowed.

Unfortunately, you cannot claim to have settled your debt if you have not paid back the agreed cost of the money you borrowed. That it continues to rack up the interest, that it exceeds the original amount borrowed is immaterial. It is what you agreed to and without superseding that agreement with something gentler on your pocket you have to abide by it. It may seem harsh but the trouble is, you weren't the only person who first got a credit card in the boom years, you weren't the only one to rack up a debt, you weren't the only one who has had to pay credit card interest - however not everyone else finds themselves in your predicament.

however not everyone else finds themselves in your predicament.

Apparently they are.. take a look at figures behind the new PI bill. All the different types of debts outstanding are listed.

Some are choosing to ignore it completely, some are paying back 5-20 euro a week, some more. Everyone's different but there are thousands upon thousands of people no longer happy to pay back principal and mountains and mountains of interest.

They just don't seem to be posting here!!

MARFSMAL;
If your comments are meant to highlight the downright unfairness of hidden-unclear and unconscionable extra charges that lenders lump on ,particularly Credit Card and HP companies then that should be your thread. Please though, back it with facts. With respect ,your comments read like a rant. Normally Rants have reasons , so let us see the factual reasons.
You will be surprised

MARFSMAL;
If your comments are meant to highlight the downright unfairness of hidden-unclear and unconscionable extra charges that lenders lump on ,particularly Credit Card and HP companies then that should be your thread. Please though, back it with facts. With respect ,your comments read like a rant. Normally Rants have reasons , so let us see the factual reasons.
You will be surprised

Respectfully received Salmon. I didn't intend to go off on a tangent or 'rant', or whatever you want to call it, only people got personal with me and I responded in turn.

I asked a hypothetical question and then someone turned it around to say I must be asking the question in order to escape debt, etc.

Maybe their intentions were good, I seriously don't know.

Surely I must be the only person with credit card debt who is finding it very difficult to clear!

Or...

Yes but the majority of those recognize that it is their responsibility as they entered into the credit agreement in the first place and are seeking advise on how best they can meet their obligations, if at all. Which is very different to what you are doing.

Respectfully received Salmon. I didn't intend to go off on a tangent or 'rant', or whatever you want to call it, only people got personal with me and I responded in turn.

I asked a hypothetical question and then someone turned it around to say I must be asking the question in order to escape debt, etc.

Maybe their intentions were good, I seriously don't know.

There is nothing to suggest that your original is in any way hypothetical!

Jim. I will endeavour to engage with you again.

I have paid back the principal borrowed, I have paid charges when it went over the limit, late payment charge, etc. and I have paid bucketloads of interest which the bank now or did enjoy. Just as I too enjoyed the credit.

I had no previous experience with credit or loans and did not properly appreciate compounding and how the interest really piles up until I did a course in Finance from the University of Michigan and Coursera.org (which is free online), taught by Gautam Kaul. I noted monthly interest but didn't analyse it to see it for what it was.
From Bloomberg's Business Week:

Kaul went a different route for the course he created for the online learning platform Coursera. He offered up a class that he says is just as intensive as what a Ross MBA student would sit through. As one reviewer of the course put it, Kaul gives fair warning that “you as the student are expected to work and that it’s going to be a lot of work.”

I don’t believe in primers. I strongly believe that there is a certain fundamental base of knowledge needed—certain basics that you need to know. I think you empower a person when you give them a taste of something like this. My stance is that this is really high-quality exposure you can get for free and then follow up in a formal way, if that’s what you choose.

And empower me it did.

To be honest I'm as fed up as the next person listening to talk about white collar crime, etc. and as we all well know, talk is cheap. So I'm setting to acting and doing and being constructive and as helpful as I can be to others and it took a good little lesson with this to see the charade up close. I came from a quite protected middle class background and was naive as a consequence.

What has all this got to do with you owing money? You don't seem to deny that.

Have you tried to engage with the cc company? What did they say?

Everything else you are writing is off topic...and meaningless to your opening post.

As I already said, I wasn't the person who took the thread off-topic.
People immediately wanted to cast their ideas about my agenda, etc. so go lecture them about off-topic. Better use of your time if that's the point you want to make.

As I already said, I wasn't the person who took the thread off-topic.
People immediately wanted to cast their ideas about my agenda, etc. so go lecture them about off-topic. Better use of your time if that's the point you want to make.
........................................................................................

Its too hot already today , so let,s cool it please.

Methinks your input, ,,,, is that BANKS suckered naiive punters into borrowing and then bled them on interest/charges/fees etc ,whilst they ignored Codes of Conduct.

If so , Maybe your Post should be at the supposed Gatekeepers in the Central Bank , they have a fine turn of phrase in Consumer Codes but they lack teeth in application.

Yes I distrust our Central Bank.

Back