Death of spouse, 60yo survivor still in employment, entitlements?

dad

A friends mother passed away.

From various websites I gather his father is entitled to a Bereavement Grant and a Widowers Contributory pension (they both were contributors).
His tax credits will be reduced to take account of this income as its not taxed at source
He will no longer have to pay the 2% health contribution
I am not sure how they were treated for tax purposes. I am sure he was the assessable spouse as she worked part time. I have the income tax leaflet on this and need to check it with himself.
He will get the widowed persons tax credit from next year on.

Other things to consider
Any life assurance or mortgage o/s
I think the father is in his early 60's so may be entitled to the household benefits package.

Anything else they should consider or other entitlements available to them?

Thks.

It is very difficult to answer whether there are other entitlements as you give no information as to his exact age, or whether he is still in employment.

There are rather strict criteria in relation to the Household Benefits Package and if this person is in his early 60's it is unlikely he will qualify unless he is receiving:

Invalidity Pension or Blind Person's Pension or Unemployability Supplement or Workmen's Compensation with Disablement Pension (for at least 12 months) or Disability Allowance or holds An equivalent Social Security Pension/Benefit from a country covered by EU Regulations, or from a country with which Ireland has a Bilateral Social Security Agreement.

In relation to his entitlement to a Bereavement Grant - this is not automatic and instead depends on holding the appropriate number of PRSI contributions. .

The Widowers Contrib Pension again is dependent on a certain number of PRSI contributions, however you will qualify automatically if the deceased spouse was in receipt of a Retirement or Old Age (Contrib) Pension, which included an increase for a dependent spouse (or would have included such an increase but for the fact that the spouse was in receipt of Old Age Non Contributory Pension, Blind Pension or Carer's Allowance).

This person may also be entitled to a Living Alone allowance - which is a weekly payment made to those holding social welfare pensions. He will qualify if he is under under 66, live alone and are receiving Disability Allowance, Invalidity Pension, Unemployability Supplement and Blind Person's Pension. (It is only worth €7.70 per week however).

If his late spouse was eligible under the Treatment Benefit Scheme at the time of death and he was dependent on her at the time of death, he may continue to be eligible so long as he remains widowed.

As I mention above, there may indeed be other supports this person is entitled to - but without more information it is difficult to answer. He is really best advised to call into his local social welfare office for a chat with the Information Officer and they will be happy to advise.

Pensions Service Office of the Department of Social and Family Affairs (who can advise on pension entitlements, etc.) are contactable at College Road, Sligo (071) 9169800/(01) 874 8444

If this person is experiencing any financial difficulties following this bereavement, it is important to deal with those matters at an early stage. His local Money Advice and Budgeting Service can provide free, confidential advice and information - a vital support during this difficult time. Numbers in your local telephone directory.

Other small items to be aware of include the importance of changing the name on utility bills, cancelling direct debits/standing orders in banks, cancelling magazine subscriptions, health insurance, and notifying financial institutions.

I hope this has been of assistance,

CMCR

Thks for the reply CMCR, very helpful.

He is still working and is 62. He will not qualify for the household benefits package.
He is entitled to widowers pension and bereavement grant.
He has contacted social welfare.

Thks again.

Back