Death notices

hansov

Weird one this. :eek: Anybody know where I could find the death notices published each day (by Times, Indo, Examiner) on the internet?

Had to do the same thing myself recently. I logged on to the Irish Independent site - [broken link removed] You may have to register first. I think I did a search using the person's surname in the miscellaneous ads section. It's very straightforward once you go into the site - it threw up the details I was looking for within seconds.

AFAIK if you log on to the individual sites you should be able to find them. I used the Indos one a while ago to search for one. Not aware that there is a central database other than heaven.

Read about a service called funerals.ie some weeks ago but now end up getting directed . The image of an undertaker with cloak and hat stooped over a black Dell, just doesn't fit!!

Do remember that alot of people are only putting death notice out on local radio and are not using newspapers atall.

SineWave said:
Read about a service called funerals.ie some weeks ago but now end up getting directed . The image of an undertaker with cloak and hat stooped over a black Dell, just doesn't fit!!

Just to mention, the website contained in the link above is a commercial site, run by a private company. It is not an official Irish Government website has nothing to do with the General Registers Office.

Just as an FYI.

I hope that RIP.ie will be of use to you.

I am involved with the site and I'd appreciate any feedback.

By the way the site is not solely concerned with the free publication of death notices, more a central collection point for all the issues related to end of life affairs.

We have just gone live last week so that's why you probably haven't heard of it!!

thats a very handy site. a relation of mine died on thursday 6th july and you have it for 6th july - but the death notice appeared on 7th july - do you archive by date of death or date of death notice? Also, the wording is slightly different than the one which appeared in the paper - which source do you use?

Thanks podgerodge, we archive the notices as per their date of death - we had considered having a "death notices published today" page but it would have created issues in a week or month after the event when family members went to the date of death and had to search for the date it had been published.

The wording may be different as we obviously have to recieve all notices from authentic sources ie the funeral directors. However, we may not get all the notices from funeral directors initially and in these cases we feel it is better not to impinge on the family's personal space - so we just keep it factual.

legend99 said:
A 1000 euro for an anniversay notice?????

Yes - I kid you not - I was shocked - I know that advertising in the Examiner is expensive anyway but I really felt they could reduce the rates for the death notices & acknowledgements.

Sorry for butting in again, but our site allows families to put a photo and acknowledgement up, also months mind etc - free of course. It has to be connected to a death announcement at the minute though.

Lorz said:
Yes - I kid you not - I was shocked - I know that advertising in the Examiner is expensive anyway but I really felt they could reduce the rates for the death notices & acknowledgements.

My wife wants to put one in for her Granny who is dead almost one year. She might have to reconsider when I tell her its a grand.

To be fair our acknowledgement did include a photo but only a few lines of text. On the same day there was another acknowledgement that was almost double the size - so I presume theirs cost ~€2!?!?!?

Personally I feel that death notices are an unnessasary expense on an estate. Personally I can't see why anyone would want to announce such an event to the public.

Back