Death in service benefit

cms

Is death in service benefit always linked to a pensions or do some companies offer it seperately? My mother died recently while still in employment. She wasn't paying into the pension scheme as she was over 50 when she joined the company. When we contacted the HR department to notify them of her death they mentioned she might be due a death in service benefit, which I was quite surprised at. They said they'd get back to us, but despite several calls they still can't confirm it. I'm just wondering what the chances are of getting anything.

In my workplace it's not a pension thing it's actually an insurance my employer has taken out. Beneficiary gets 3x the deceased's salary. HR have our nominees details in the safe, to be opened only in the case of our death in service.

In my previous work, it was also separate to pension, although sometimes provided by the same insurance provider. In my industry, it would be more common not to have a company-provided pension scheme at all, but most would have a death & disability scheme.

If she was a member of a trade union, she may also be entitled to a small sum. I would aslo have a look for her contract of employment, the detail of any death in service provision would normally be contained in this

OP Sorry for your troubles.

In my previous work, it was also separate to pension, although sometimes provided by the same insurance provider. In my industry, it would be more common not to have a company-provided pension scheme at all, but most would have a death & disability scheme.
I wonder if these benefits are taken into account in the many public sector/private sector wage comparisons floating around out there?

Back