Dealing with overhanging trees

Gordon Gekko

Hi Folks,

How should I go about dealing with a large tree that is overhanging my property?

It’s on public land (SDCC).

Something in the back of my mind is telling me that they don’t do ad hoc tree maintenance anymore; any advice or experiences that people could share would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

Gordon

If you're saying it's council property that the tree is growing on then have a chat with the council. I'd imagine you'll find them helpful.

Hi Folks,

How should I go about dealing with a large tree that is overhanging my property?

Something in the back of my mind is telling me that they don’t do ad hoc tree maintenance anymore; any advice or experiences that people could share would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

Gordon

2 options really contact the council and try get someone on it or just get the overhanging branches cut yourself which is your right

on a slightly related note, I have ivy planted on my back garden boundary wall which has grown over the years to cover it,however, it has gone over the wall and is very much grown down my neighbours side. I cannot now trim his side but am I responsible for it. Not being any issue but your own query has me now thinking of it.:oops:

Ivy can be very, very, very, invasive and destructive. If you wait to find that out you'll be very sorry.

I have a property with trees and Ivy coming across my boundary, it is coming from state owned ground which is a wasteland, I have cut back the overhanging branches and ivy as best I can and am returning the cuttings across the boundary to where they came from.

As for John Kuc ....The ivy is unreal having been left wild for maybe 15 years, try and deal with it now by cutting it back at the top of your wall, you should speak with your neighbour, it will get worse.

Many thanks.

Gordon

We are also in the SDCC catchment area and have a small forest area near our house which every so many years becomes totally overgrown. I have contacted the Council on numerous occasions to have the area cleared because of anti-social behaviour, drinking etc. They have admitted on many occasions that their department in particular is swamped with work and they are on catch-up all the time. It would appear that the Council many moons ago planted the wrong trees in a lot of areas and they are trying to cope because of this.

If it were my garden and it wasn't too big a job I would do it myself or get it done because the only way we got the work done was by going to a few different Councillors over the years and they made representations on our behalf. It sometimes took months to get them to come out.

Back