Day trading, anyone know anything about it??

Your state that share price movements are random. Do you not think that your comments caused an anomaly to the randomness that you speak of, to the banks share price fluctuations?

For some people holding shares for years is the norm. For some people holding shares for a few months is the norm. For some people holding shares for one full day would give them palpitations.
Some people only want to hold them for minutes.

As I said before there is a time to buy and a time to sell. You decide the timeframe and if you are making a profit then you are not making a loss.
Price movements are not random but they unpredictable especially in the short term so might as well be random. Day trading is not impossible but it probably won't beat buy and hold as a strategy.

I did it for a few years and I was averaging about €600 profit per week. I only dealt in 10 shares on the Ftse. Knew them inside out. All good companies. They all traded within some sort of pattern on a daily/weekly basis and around ex dividend dates. I bought when low and sold when high within a tight price range. Also did some short selling when high and bought back when low. Then I got bored and greedy and started trading some shares I hadn't studied properly and started trading on gut instinct rather than on fundamentals. Lost a big chunk, lost my nerve.
There are the people who get the news first. There are people who get the news second. There are people who get the news later in the day. There are people who get the news in the next day's newspapers or in the Sunday papers. I thought I was getting the news in the first batch but there were already layers of people who had bought and sold before me.

your obviously quite skilled in the area of numbers and moving trends , me , i cant get past simple moving averages , 50 day dropping below the 200 as a bearish sign , 50 moving over the 200 as a bullish sign etc , as such , when i thought stocks had bottomed in the past , id buy only to see them drop even more , anticipating another leg down is tricky as when it happens , what you thought was support , becomes resistance

The vast majority of people don't understand the critical difference between gambling on horses or greyhounds in Paddy Power and trading financial markets, which is why most lose at trading.

i dont think investing in financial markets is akin to placing a bet on a horse with paddy power but for many people , trading the financial markets can leave you just as poor as sticking a tenner on the 3.30 @ cheltenham , only minus the fun

Good personal insights here. I wonder how the traders got on a month ago when the markets changed direction after months of turmoil. All the technical analysis were saying markets would continue to fall so shorting everything was an easy trade. But then the market changed direction out of nowhere and against the technical analysis. I think this is the worst aspect of stock markets in that the trading in shares distracts people from the businesses underlying those shares.

the traders themselves were shorting the market all summer off the back of the greek situation and after that the chineese slowdown , oil was a huge short all summer , the professionals in the industry actively short companies who are perfect , its just that in a nervous enviroment , the good gets flushed with the bad , the insiders knew that retails would panic sell over greece and china , the german dax was in possibly the shortest bear market in history from around late august to less than ten days ago , it dropped around 21% off its yearly high ( which was set in march ) and is now up over 20% from that low in august , so is now technically back in a bull market, this was entirely orchestrated by the big guns who exploited the greeek and chineese situation

this is why for the vast majority of retail , buying and holding is the only sensible option

Back