Daughter starting college in Galway, how much weekly living allowance?

geriatric

Hi all

My eldest daughter is starting in NUIG shortly and she will stay in Corrib Village student campus this year. This is my first going to college so I've no idea what I should give her weekly to live.

She worked through the summer and travelled to Galway from Tipp last weekend to hand out Cvs and has applied online this week for part-time work.

I know it's difficult to put figures on it but would be useful for me to read your experiences.

All advice really appreciated.

She will need money for food, ie, a breakfast, dinner and tea, but it may not go on food. She will need pocket money for ? Transport may be needed at times, money for joining a club or two. Clothes and going out, books pencils, phone credit, "coffee". I've highlighted coffee because its a bugbear of mine. Will she be staying on over the weekends or coming home? A lot of money goes over the w'kends. I've spoken to a few over the years about what you've asked and differing amounts come up. In my own case I gave €50. but that was a few years ago. Nowdays, i'd imagine around €100 pw. If your daughter's working I suggest sitting down with her and having a chat about it, then see how it goes.

Last edited:
I'd say €60 a week, but pay for her travel if she is coming home.
I give my son €130 a week. €65 goes on rent, €10 into a second account for unforeseen expenses. The balance €55 covers all his food (he cooks from scratch), clothes, entertainment. No part-time job, but no travel either. He lives a 25 minute walk from uni.
Oh, and he doesn't drink coffee.

€55 a week sounds very little to me - my college going son lives at home, and we give him more than that!

€55 a week sounds very little to me - my college going son lives at home, and we give him more than that!

Good for you if you can afford it, but if he's living at home with food, lodgings, washing, tv, etc for nothing, and hopefully studying, that's nice pocket money. Not everyone can give over €2,500.00 for that.

Good for you if you can afford it, but if he's living at home with food, lodgings, washing, tv, etc for nothing, and hopefully studying, that's nice pocket money. Not everyone can give over €2,500.00 for that.

Agreed. My daughter lives at home and has a part time job. We pay her fees and provide food and a home. We don't take any money from her, but she funds everything else herself - from toiletries to her social life.

Back