Dating Websites - Do people really meet their match on them?

A friend of mine went on a good few internet dates & some of them have been hilarious. The guy who stepped smartly back when it was time to pay for the cofffees, saying "this place is expensive, it's 10c cheaper down the road" - on a FIRST date!!!!

The guy she thought was 50, turned out to be 70......

but most of them have been fun. She's been doing it for about 2 years now, never got past 3 dates with anyone, but says she's met a hell of a lot of nice interesting men she wouldn't have met otherwise. (She's 52)

An acquaintance of mine (girl) set up a date on the internet and they arranged to meet outside a well known landmark in Cork at a set time and then to walk to a particular pub for a drink. She said she was standing there when someone she knew (and did not like) from work (a large company) came by - he stopped and started and stopped again - and she had a sinking realisation it was him. They had an awful conversation where they were both red faced and saying 'lets not bother'. And then walked away in opposite directions. And they've never made eye contact in the work place since...

Oh DeeFox that's awful! My friend who met someone on the speeddating site is still going strong, looks like a keeper. My other friend is currently dating two guys (very american!) she's going to decide this weekend which one to keep dating both met online so it seems the way to go

My other friend is currently dating two guys (very american!) she's going to decide this weekend which one to keep dating both met online so it seems the way to go

Ahem ! 'Scuse me for a second, but I do believe that if it were a guy doing this (dating 2 girls) and was found out by one of them, he would be called every name under the sun.

Why do you(and more to the point, your friend) find this so acceptable ?

What's good for the goose is good for the gander, after all..

Hi Pique318 I don't see anything wrong with it she is dating two guys, in that she has gone to cinema, meals a few drinks etc. She's not dtd! if you get what I mean. She has not had the "chat" with either on exclusivity and they could be doing the same. That's why this weekend she will stop dating one of them as time is moving on, why should she put her eggs in one basket? I think if you polled people on the online dating sites lots of them are dating multiple people to get a feel for who they feel they've most in common with or like, the are paying to be on the sites so why do one at a time! Its how Americans date too, in that if you are dating you can date a few, but then you become bf/gf you stop dating others.

Hi Pique318 I don't see anything wrong with it she is dating two guys, in that she has gone to cinema, meals a few drinks etc. She's not dtd! if you get what I mean. She has not had the "chat" with either on exclusivity and they could be doing the same. That's why this weekend she will stop dating one of them as time is moving on, why should she put her eggs in one basket? I think if you polled people on the online dating sites lots of them are dating multiple people to get a feel for who they feel they've most in common with or like, the are paying to be on the sites so why do one at a time! Its how Americans date too, in that if you are dating you can date a few, but then you become bf/gf you stop dating others.

I agree - you can date as many as you like until you have 'The Conversation' with one of them.
Dating is only meeting up, going for a drink, cinema, meal etc.... getting to know the person before deciding to take things a bit further and perhaps meet friends/family, and do more ordinary things together.
Pique138 - I would have thought men did this much more commonly than women (just judging by male friends and reports from female friends). I would think its perfectly acceptable.

Back