Data Breach on CCR Tesco Bank

County2019

Hi all looking for some advice if possible!

I got my CCR report in February and it showed that I had an active debt with Tesco bank for a very small amount on an old CC that was cancelled.I appealed this and complained and received a letter to say they had incorrectly sent data about me to the CCR and had amended this. They also said they wanted to offer a goodwill gesture on €500 for the incorrect report which I wasn’t expecting at all.

Now this has been offered I am curious if in terms of data breaches does the above sound like a good figure to close out the issue? If a company breaches or gives incorrect information on data are you entitled to money? I just found it strange they offered it when all I have asked they remove incorrect details from the CCR and am waiting for confirmation.

Thanks!

As you say you weren't expecting anything and I suspect if they didn't sent it to you you'd see the matter as closed
I would look at it in the manner it was meant - a good will gesture. The in correct car has possibly caused you a delay in an application for a loan, which is an inconvenience in itself . Thus the gesture of goodwill to compensate for that delay.
Personally I'd see it as the matter closed off.

Hi all looking for some advice if possible!

I got my CCR report in February and it showed that I had an active debt with Tesco bank for a very small amount on an old CC that was cancelled.I appealed this and complained and received a letter to say they had incorrectly sent data about me to the CCR and had amended this. They also said they wanted to offer a goodwill gesture on €500 for the incorrect report which I wasn’t expecting at all.

Now this has been offered I am curious if in terms of data breaches does the above sound like a good figure to close out the issue? If a company breaches or gives incorrect information on data are you entitled to money? I just found it strange they offered it when all I have asked they remove incorrect details from the CCR and am waiting for confirmation.

Thanks!

To answer your second question - if a company has a data breach, there is no requirement to pay out to individuals. A serious breach could be subject to a fine by the commission but there is no sense of "punitive damages". If there was a direct harm as a result of a data breach, they might be required to remediate that for people i.e. if personal data was breached, they might have to cover on-line protection services to mitigate against identity theft.

However - have you suffered any actual harm or inconvenience? It sounds like the data was released only to the CCR (so a limited distribution and only relevant if it affected a credit decision) and was rectified. On the face of it €500 seems a generous gesture. If there was no material impact to you, I think I'd take it and thank them.

Thanks is a million for all the replies - I’m happy to close off the matter given they acknowledged my original complaint and fixed. I was just curious as I wouldn’t have saw an error like this as something they would offer money for nor was I expecting but I’ll happily accept it and it will go towards my house deposit. Thanks all!

Back