Danske Shut Down Telephone Banking

I got my letter yesterday morning also. I'm glad to finally see that they have made a decision on this. Hopefully this indicates in some way that they are committed to remaining in the Irish market for the medium term at least.

Would I be right in saying that when the associated automated transaction charge will become payable in August 2014 those with easy plus and prestige accounts will not have to pay any additional charges. i.e. use will be free as part of the account package?

I took a quick look at some of the other banks charges for non-euro transactions and it appears that the 3.5% for non-euro cash withdrawals is pretty much the standard.

Withdrawals from Danske Bank UK ATMs will apparently cost less. The Danske Bank UK site lists all the locations.

[broken link removed]

I don't think there are any Danske Bank ATMs in mainland UK ??

Would I be right in saying that when the associated automated transaction charge will become payable in August 2014 those with easy plus and prestige accounts will not have to pay any additional charges. i.e. use will be free as part of the account package?

Withdrawals from Danske Bank UK ATMs will apparently cost less.
I regularly use my Danske Bank laser card for sterling withdrawals at Danske Bank ATM’s in the north, the applicable selling note rate at that time is applied, no additional fee is charged, if I use any other bank’s ATM’s up north the additional 3.5% charge is applied.

Danske have confirmed that this will remain the case with the new Debit Mastercard, however this may be subject to change.

Danske have also confirmed that the 0.25cent charge for Contactless Payments with the new Debit Mastercard (Free until Mar 2014) will not apply to packages such as Easy Plus after March 2014, as transaction fees do not apply to these accounts.

If you had to pay the 0.25 cent charge for Contactless Payment, and used it twice daily, that would be an additional annual banking charge of €182.50 for this facility alone.

I regularly use my Danske Bank laser card for sterling withdrawals at Danske Bank ATM’s in the north, the applicable selling note rate at that time is applied, no additional fee is charged, if I use any other bank’s ATM’s up north the additional 3.5% charge is applied.

Danske have confirmed that this will remain the case with the new Debit Mastercard, however this may be subject to change.

Danske have also confirmed that the 0.25cent charge for Contactless Payments with the new Debit Mastercard (Free until Mar 2014) will not apply to packages such as Easy Plus after March 2014, as transaction fees do not apply to these accounts.

If you had to pay the 0.25 cent charge for Contactless Payment, and used it twice daily, that would be an additional annual banking charge of €182.50 for this facility alone.

Many thanks for the info.

This sunset clause on free contactless payment a possible dealbreaker for me.

It is excessive and the timing is crafty. It's not being introduced immediately to keep us on board until most have forgotten about it, and then being introduced quietly during a holiday period.

I've set my calendar to review my options next June.

According to the Danske Bank website, Danske Bank have removed secure email, via their app, as a way to contact customer service.

The drip drip removal of services continues.

According to the Danske Bank website, Danske Bank have removed secure email, via their app, as a way to contact customer service.

The drip drip removal of services continues.

I installed the newly updated Android app yesterday and it still has secure email option. Overall the app is smoother, looks better and has more features.

On the IOS app after the last upgrade you can still contact them via an email like facility in the app.

Also they've added an option to view your stock trading account, and buy and sell shares from your phone. Comprehensive list of securities, if you want a Japanese, Australian, US etc.. share they're all there. Also it looks like there's a long list of Vanguard funds to buy as well.

I'm not sure if any other bank offers Irish customers anything like that?

This sunset clause on free contactless payment a possible dealbreaker for me.

It is excessive and the timing is crafty. It's not being introduced immediately to keep us on board until most have forgotten about it, and then being introduced quietly during a holiday period.

I've set my calendar to review my options next June.

I noted previously that AIB are playing a similar game and waiving the charge until some time in 2014.

It seems like a bit of a bait and switch to get people using the contactless payments, then lob on the charges (which I think in their case will be 20c) when they are in the habit of using the card.

If contactless payments are to be a true alternative to cash there will need to be a rethink on charges for micro payments. Hopefully some of the potential non-bank players here like Google/Paypal and others might offer cheaper alternatives that make the banks charging plans a non-runner.

Back