Danske Bank to Shut Down

i have home management account with an overdraft facility with Dankse . i am leaning towards PTSB but i am also considering AIB. Any opinions on which may be best to go with? it seems to be very easy to switch banks with switch buddy. i just hear a lot of talk of PTSB being next to go.

It is easier to get free banking with PTSB than with AIB. Plus, PTSB have one of the better online banking services.

It is easier to get free banking with PTSB than with AIB. Plus, PTSB have one of the better online banking services.

Hi Ciaran,

Are you saying that the PTSB online facilities are better than those from AIB ?

... and if so, what do you base this on please (as you know from another thread, I will need to move - hence the questions) ?

PTSB should simply purchase the Danske customer base, like they did with Northern Rock and INBS. PTSB still need significantly more deposits to close a high loans to deposits ratio.

Never mind "purchase" simply take over would be agreeable I would have thought ... anyway, in the interests of competition, I would have thought KBC would be a better bet (working in harmony with the AnPost network for over the counter dealings needless to say).

Also, KBC could buy a licence for the Danske online software, would be far better than trying to create their own etc.

I have my Credit Card with Danske, for many years now - time to think about moving I suppose !
Any ideas where best deals are for Credit Card transfer ? I will have no carry over, managing to keep card paid up !

Hi MrEarl, yes, I think PTSB online banking is better than AIB online banking. This is purely from personal experience of the ease of use of the different online banking systems.

Hi MrEarl, yes, I think PTSB online banking is better than AIB online banking. This is purely from personal experience of the ease of use of the different online banking systems.

Hello Ciaran,

Thanks for your reply.

In truth, I really need to find a way to get a go of each of their online facilities to help make up my mind ... I doubt they have live demo versions available in the branches, but must have a nosey when next passing.

Also, had reason to speak with someone from KBC today who said you can do all the basics on their online software with furher enhancements on the way. Apparently they have lined up Mastercard to provide debit card services and have plans to also introduce a credit card in early 2014, per the staff member I spoke with. They did stress that they will be a cashless bank etc but for what I'm after they may yet be an option.

I recently moved current account from BOI to PTSB and am delighted. I even held out for KBC offering but I cant justify paying them €6 every quarter when I get this FREE with PTSB and the PTSB product is better.

I must say I'm very impressed with the new AIB iPad app. It has their Money Manager installed on it and gives a very clear breakdown of your I&E.

This significantly affects many people with mortgages with danske.

I have an offset mortage with prestige account and am availing of the prestige discount. What is of more importance is the fact danske have said theyll be losing current accounts. But for those of you who have it it, the prestige discount is built on the premise that you deposit your salary into your current account. So how are they going to maintain it? For me the discount is worth 150e a month.

Not only that, the offset sum is based on the current account as well so if they do away with the current accounts, how do we have a figure to offset.

So I rang yesterday, spoke to manager in cust. service whom Ive had a long relationship with from dealings and he said firstly they had got the news as a bolt out of the blue. Were not expecting it as theyed thought the bank had turned the corner as a business. they have not come to any decision yet with offset mortagages, wkill be several weeks yet and we'll get letters sent out..

So then I turned on my iphone app today and theres a new "offset mortgage savings account" that I never seen before which seems to me that theyre provisioning for that to be the offset account. Handy savings. Just move all my savings in there monthly from another account and 4.1% against my mortgage. But how then do I get it out if I need it? interesting times ahead.

I've also got some trades in custody accounts. Be interesting to see how they move those without us incurring fees.

have to move my current a/c from Danske with an overdraft, first asked in my local PTSB branch (i have a joint account there already) they didnt want to know, had no interest in gaining a new a/c and asked for a list of 8 things to provide for them before i could even open a new account without overdraft. So i went into my local AIB and they were great - opening an account for me with my overdraft and just have to provide ID and statements from Danske. There will be bank charges but they have no problem with Danske bank customers with overdrafts.

PTSB 0/10
AIB 10/10

Transferring current account and credit card to PTSB, I have to deal with 2 separate sections, send in 2 sets of ID etc. You would think they would deploy people to deal with switchers with the entire suite of products.
This is such a pain!

. but what will Danske do with mortgage rates given that they don't need to attract new business?
Looks like Danske won't be deciding the mortgage rates... According to today's Irish Times, mortgages will be offloaded to a third party (or refinanced by the customer).
Personal and business loans have been placed into a non-core unit, to be worked out over two years. Mortgages and long-term business loans will either be off-loaded to a third party or refinanced by customers. Personal loans, which typically involve shorter repayment periods, will be allowed to run off.
http://www.irishtimes.com/business/...s-to-follow-danske-bank-restructure-1.1598006

Great suggestion. I'd go even further and suggest a mass non payment of mortgages until there is a guarantee on variable interest rates. I'm in the position where I have two Danske mortgages, one tracker and one variable. Tracker is obviously attractive but I'm being unceremoniously screwed on the variable. These guys are removing all cost from the Irish market and also any contribution they were making to the economy. An organised non payment would certainly get their attention and I think secure some of the savings being made for the mortgage holders.

On where to go for regular banking, am I right in thinking that PTSB seem to offer free banking when certain balances are kept?

Have the likes of Certus or Pepper the power to increase variable rates?

Have the BOSI and Halifax loans had their variable rates increased or decreased since being managed by Certus?

Back