Dangerous tree

olddoll

As a result of recent storm a tree belonging to our neighbour has broken and is leaning over against a tree to one side of it. A branch of this tree is holding up the fallen tree and preventing it from falling onto a narrow road which allows access to our home. Our house is the only one affected. It is very dangerous. Who can I report this to as I am not on speaking terms with our neighbour.

sounds like its on private land? if thats the case you need to speak to your neighbour or if any portion is on your property you can cut that portion

See [broken link removed]. Contact your local authority and ask them to review. In certain circumstances they are entitled to take action and then bill the owner for the work carried out.

It'd be no harm to have someone raise the issue with the owner, even if just for the purposes of more easily establishing negligence if they fail to take action and damage or injury is caused.

Be wary of taking any action yourself that might cause the tree to fall further and damage your neighbour's or anyone else's property as that could leave you liable.

Thank you for your response. The tree belongs to our neighbour. Now that it is damaged it is leaning out over a narrow road which allows us access to our house. This road was originally a public road but due to layout changes made by the Council it is no longer in public use. The tree does not impinge on our property at all so we are not able to touch it. The tree is currently leaning against the branch of another tree and looks very insecure. If it fell it would block access to our house. We do not have a good relationship with our neighbour.

This is a 24hour number I was given for dlrcc this morning by the emergency services 01-6778844 .

As you are going to be the only one affected by this will anyone else be pushed to do anything about it? Not trying to be half smart or anything but can you understand what i'm saying? Can you cut up the timber if it falls and use it? That's one way to find out if the neighbour will talk to you;)

The road would still be 'Public' surely. it certainly doesn't sound private. Contact LA as soon as, polite but firm - needs to be done before someone is killed - as you/your household walk, cycle and drive that route several times a day.

Back