Dangerous Driving - Red Lights

Compared to the past we have massively reduced the carnage on our roads .
Generally drivers are nowadays much more clued in than they were in the past and roads are better engineered for safety .

The increased motorway infrastructure has made a big difference, with collisions three times more likely on rural national roads for a given distance traveled.

Also car safety features have improved significantly as well. What new car doesn't come with a proliferation of air bags, and features like improved crumple zones, emergency brake assist, lane departure & blind spot warnings, etc..

I also wonder whether the increased volume of traffic has had an affect also. Particularly in the busy commuter areas, with increased grid-lock leading to lower speeds.

I also wonder whether the increased volume of traffic has had an affect also. Particularly in the busy commuter areas, with increased grid-lock leading to lower speeds.
The amount of cars in Dublin City center has not increased over the last 20 years (and have decreased in the last 10) because of the M50, more people cycling and walking and more people taking the bus, but the road deaths in Dublin have been reduced greatly.
See [broken link removed] for details on travel patterns for the city center.

The amount of cars in Dublin City center has not increased over the last 20 years (and have decreased in the last 10) because of the M50, more people cycling and walking and more people taking the bus, but the road deaths in Dublin have been reduced greatly.

True, but from 1991 to 2001 volumes of morning peak hour trips almost trebled, and from 1994 to 2002 average speeds dropped from 16.71 to 11.58km/h.

Well....some morning around Cork city this morning. Went out home last night so a different route to work so maybe I was more aware, but some eejits on the roads! All bumper to bumper with lots of under-taking going on. People are tearing it to no end. As much as I give out about paying my TV license fee, I don't know what I would do without Lyric!

Well....some morning around Cork city this morning. Went out home last night so a different route to work so maybe I was more aware, but some eejits on the roads! All bumper to bumper with lots of under-taking going on. People are tearing it to no end. As much as I give out about paying my TV license fee, I don't know what I would do without Lyric!
Considering how bolshie Cork people are generally it must be an absolute nightmare driving down there. You have my sympathies. No wonder the normal ones leave! ;) :p

Considering how bolshie Cork people are generally it must be an absolute nightmare driving down there. You have my sympathies. No wonder the normal ones leave! ;) :p

I'm beginning to wonder alright...I lived Dublin for about 10 years and thought I'd seen in all!

As much as I give out about paying my TV license fee, I don't know what I would do without Lyric!

My kids ask why I listen to Lyric, I'm not known for an appreciation of classical music. But it can be a lifesaver.

During the week I turned on the radio in the car. Joe was talking to some people who went to a concert and had a bad view because other people were dancing. Its enough to make anyone undertake, just to improve the view.

Newstalk had a piece on second careers for retired racehorses. Ahhh!

Lyric saved me.

Newstalk had a piece on second careers for retired racehorses. Ahhh!
That reminds me of the one about the horse and the chicken who walked into a bar. Tha barman said "sorry, no clichéd jokes allowed". The chicken turned to the horse and said, "It's okay, I know another place across the road".

My kids ask why I listen to Lyric, I'm not known for an appreciation of classical music.

Ditto. I don't know what I'm listening to half of the time but it's just "nice". I just avoid it on Sunday mornings as it's full on church music!

That reminds me of the one about the horse and the chicken who walked into a bar. Tha barman said "sorry, no clichéd jokes allowed". The chicken turned to the horse and said, "It's okay, I know another place across the road".

I don't get it. I'm from Cork. Perhaps you can tell it a little slower?

On Lyric, Marty-in-the-Morning. Great show! I don't know too much about classical music either, but Marty knows less. But, he is great! Dreadful, corny jokes, but they're the best. He makes me laugh and I hope he keeps doing what he is doing for years to come.

Back