Dangerous Crocked School Busses

A

ajapale

Dangerous Crocked School Busses

The country is full of these Dangerous Crocked School Busses. They are an accident waiting to happen! Many are over 25 years old and some are nearly 30 years old. Among other things they spew out noxious fumes some of which finds its way back into the bus. If Dublin Bus or Bus Eireann put on these third world busses there would be a revolution. Why should our children have to be 'abused' in this way. Some of these busses are imported second hand from England after they have failed the Road Test over there.

Who is the minister responsible? What is the department that is responsible? They must be sharply call to account before something terrible happens.

ajapale

Who is the minister responsible? What is the department that is responsible? They must be sharply call to account before something terrible happens.
I'm not disagreeing with you on your point about school buses but until we as a nation start to blame the civil servant(s) who are paid to look after the school buses as well as the minister who is passing through the relevant department we will not really change anything.
The civil service runs the country, the ministers set policy.
To criticise the ministers alone is like blaming the directors for the failiours in a company without even looking at the managers. Both must shoulder some of the blame. I know my point is general and a bit off topic and I don't want to deflect from the point you are making as it is an important one.

I can't see how old school buses (or any vehicles or that matter) can be any more dangerous than newer ones once they are properly maintained and serviced on an ongoing basis. When it comes to transport in this country there seems to be a prevalent assumption that new vehicle equals good & safe, old vehicle equals bad & dangerous. This isn't in fact the case.

If the Minister for Education were to announce today that all school buses over (say) 10 years old were to be scrapped with immediate effect, there would be a massive outcry among parents about the increased transport charges that would result. No doubt we would hear all the old cries of "stealth tax", "ripoff Ireland" etc etc. People can't have everything both ways.

BTW as someone who travelled 1.5 hours a day for five years to secondary school in a 20+ years old school bus, I think it is ludicrous to suggest I was somehow being "abused" in the process. This sort of exaggeration does nothing but trivialise the suffering of the victims of actual physical, sexual or psychological abuse, past and present.

go round and round

I agree with recent comments on this subject.

The above moan on school busses is symptomatic of some 'very frequent users' sounding off on spurious subjects which have no relevance to other users of this board - it is almost as if Ajapale has just come in the door, turned on the PC , still wearing the coat of course, and banged off a stiff hormonal diatribe to one and all just because she (I suspect) had to wait behind a bus at the traffic lights for a couple of minutes!
Let's get real here.

Re: go round and round

it is almost as if Ajapale has just come in the door, turned on the PC , still wearing the coat of course, and banged off a stiff hormonal diatribe to one and all just because she (I suspect) had to wait behind a bus at the traffic lights for a couple of minutes!
ah Jasus, that's a bit harsh, and you are the one having a go at diatribes!
I'm glad to see you are having a go at VERY frequent posters and not just frequent posters.
spurious subjects which have no relevance to other users of this board
On reflection you are right there; I don't give a This post will be deleted if not edited to remove bad language about school buses.
After all; my children don't use them;-)

Wheels ...bus

Which bit of "letting off steam" are you having trouble with exactly?

I'd imagine loads of parents on this site would be somewhat interested, true it is a bit of a rant (abused?? not sure about that) but Let Off Steam by all means.......ah feel better already

Nat

Re: Dangerous Crocked School Buses

"If Dublin Bus or Bus Eireann put on these third world buses there would be a revolution"

A lot of the new or old buses are contracted to Dublin Bus hence the standard 45c student fare.

I was standing beside 3 school buses to-day and when they took off I would have needed a gas mask with the dreadful smoke/fumes that were left behind. I think one of the buses was about 15/20 years old and it seemed to be it that was causing the problem.

The above moan on school busses is symptomatic of some 'very frequent users' sounding off on spurious subjects which have no relevance to other users of this board

Those damn pesky "very frequent users" Wheels, they're just the bane of your life aren't they? :rolleyes

Spelling

Seeing as this is an Irish site and not American, I think we should use the Queen's English with the word 'buses'.

Back