Danerous baby car seat situation

Greeneye

Hi ,

My two year old toddler can get out of the shoulder straps of his car seat so he is basically seating in the car without restraints,I have tried everything to sort this, pulled the straps as far as I could to be tight around him, but this made no difference, then I made a device to hod the straps together at his chest but that was useless, he gets out every time and he is not small, I am terrified driving with him, anyone any ideas what to do or if there are devices for this problem, thanks.

Reward him for not doing it? Perhaps start off with a few very short trips so he gets the idea and then progress on to longer trips.

It sounds like a poorly designed or cheap car-seat. Most modern child seats will have a child-proof clip that joins the shoulder-straps across the child's chest something like [broken link removed] (not a recommendation for the brand of seat, just for illustration purposes)

Does yours have something this?

Dangerous car seat

Hi , I have tried the reward the threats etc, nothing works, he is very headstrong in that way and cant have this carrying on, the seat I have was one of the more expensive seats, cant for the life of me remember the name at the moment,I got it because of its safety deatils, but I checked the picture you sent me and no it does not have the clip across the chest, wonder if I could get that clip separately or where to buy as last resort, the car seat in the picture.

I know he is only 2 but I think it helps if you explain why he needs it. I often see parents telling there child not to do this or to do that but never giving an explanation at to why.
This is what I did with my nieces and nephews when they were small and it always worked.
also try going somewhere and then turning back and go home if he gets out. If it is somewhere he wants or likes to go he will soon get the message if he doesn't get to go.

Dangerous car seat

Hi,

I agree with you about explaining things to children, they understand more than we think, we do explain things to him, but you see he only turned two three weeks ago. and he does not really understand about returning home if he does not behave, because he doesnt really understand that we might be going somewhere nice, but I will try your suggestion, maybe let me partner drive and I will sit in the back with the monkey and see how he reacts, probably jsut a wrestle match as usual !

... wonder if I could get that clip separately or where to buy as last resort, the car seat in the picture.
Try Halfords, Argos, MotherCare, etc.

I would not recommend adding a clip to an existing harness as this may effect the child's comfort / safety, how it works in an accident or the warranty; look at buying a seat with the clip designed in.

Have tried that websiste but have yet to receive a reply, so much for mothers help!! Think I need to get new seat, god the expense, my seat is only 11 months old and was pretty expensive, kids are so expensive!!

A friend of mine got a Garda to explain to the child that he had to keep his straps on.
The kid was a bit older than yours but it worked a treat

I wish he would listen to a Garda my lilfe would be lot easier in lots of ways!!! I would have him eating vegatables and everything!! He cant be the only child who does this, I might try the Duffy show its serious enough for this, keep your ears out, cant believe I am appealing to the nation for help with him hope this is not sign of the future!

I find it very strange that a child would be able to get out of the straps on a well designed car seat. If they are tight enough how would he be able to get out of them. Sorry it's not that I don't believe you but just don't understand.

I had this exact problem when my now 11 year old was a toddler. He was a little older than yours, I had tried literally everything. One day I pressed hard on the brakes (but not too hard, just enough to give him a fright) while driving down our driveway, he had taken off his belt. He understood why you must wear your belt after that and to this day he wouldn't travel in a car without putting on his belt. It sounds harsh, but I had tried everything.

I wish he would listen to a Garda my lilfe would be lot easier in lots of ways!!! I would have him eating vegatables and everything!! He cant be the only child who does this, I might try the Duffy show its serious enough for this, keep your ears out, cant believe I am appealing to the nation for help with him hope this is not sign of the future!

So your 2 year old is so "headstrong" that he literally won't do what you tell him? Well for your sake hopefully it's not a sign of the future.

LAST POSTER - Thats what I just said - no point in sending any more message I am not going to read them from you, not in humour your type of posting.

The car seat is well made in lots of respects but just in this one regard, I have tightened the belts as much as they will go but he manages to get out, I have really tried everything, but was just wondering if there was a device for this, will just keep looking on the internet.

Have tried that websiste but have yet to receive a reply, so much for mothers help!! Think I need to get new seat, god the expense, my seat is only 11 months old and was pretty expensive, kids are so expensive!!
Can you remember where you bought the car seat. If I was you I would go back to the shop and ask for help there. You shouldn't have to buy a new car seat after 11 months. They might be able to get some advise from the makers of the seat.

LAST POSTER - Thats what I just said - no point in sending any more message I am not going to read them from you, not in humour your type of posting.

That's fair enough Greeneye if you're not in the humour of reading posts from someone who queries whether the problem here is with the "well made" seat or if the problem is the fact a 2 year old has the upper hand on a parent. You're going to a lot of internet research on different seat options, why not check research on how to cope with toddlers asserting their independance and doing what they are told.
And if you are not in the humour for what people write then don't go on a public forum asking advice.

Back