Dan O'Brien: mortgage rates should be capped

Brendan Burgess

Founder
Dan O'Brien has an excellent article in the Sunday Independent

There is no justification for massive bank profits - steps must be taken

Gardai should question bankers over trackers and an interest rate-capping law should be enacted

He highlights how much more profitable Irish banks are than euro area banks and finally he calls for support for Michael McGrath's bill:

"In a well-functioning market, foreign banks would see the juicy profits to be made in Ireland and join the party. Increased competition could result in better deals for customers and compete away the supernormal profits. That has clearly not happened.

In the absence of new players and greater competition, Fianna Fail's Michael McGrath has proposed legislation to give the Central Bank powers to cap the interest rates banks can charge home borrowers. Currently, the idea is undergoing an impact assessment. While it has flaws, with some changes it merits serious consideration.

In general, frequently laws designed to limit prices that are the outplaying of market forces don't work and all too often they have negative unintended consequences. In the case of the banking industry, there can be little doubt but that an instrument as blunt as a legislative cap would do nothing to encourage new entrants into the market. But as there have been no new entrants despite four years of supernormal profits being made, this downside may be less of a downside than it first appears. It could also be mitigated by writing a three-year sunset clause into the legislation.

Companies making profits in free markets form the basis of our prosperity. But from the crooked timber of humanity nothing straight is ever fashioned. Perfectly competitive markets are rare and market failures are commonplace. Legislative fiat is not the answer to every imperfection and failure, but given the costs to consumers and business of exorbitant interest rates, a three-year cap written into legislation, rather than as a discretionary power to be made available to the central bank (as the Fianna Fail bills proposes), is now the appropriate and proportionate response."

Ive written to the minister re variable mortgage rates and asked him to stop blocking bill FF published last year. Ive cc all tds in my constituency. It time for all people like me tied to 4.5% interest rates to start to put more pressureon government. Brendan I would also like to point out to you that I agree with you that it is disappointing people that can switch or get lower rates have not done so. This after all tge work that people have put into the campaign but there are people like me that cant switch and cant get a lower rate from their bank.

Good article, considering the amount of people with variable mortgages and the outrage over the tracker mortgages it may be a good time to renew the campaign. I think its an interesting approach Brian Hayes is taking in asking to EU to see if there is a cartel with the banks in this country and whether this investigation also includes the scope of variable mortgage rates ? I think both Brian Hayes and Michael McGrath are one of the few TD's who are actively pursuing this Fair Mortgage campaign and the only TD's who turned up at our last meeting. As we have the highest interest rates in the EU it is alarming that we don't have more people backing this campaign and more outrage in the media that this is still going on.

"In a well-functioning market, foreign banks would see the juicy profits to be made in Ireland and join the party. Increased competition could result in better deals for customers and compete away the supernormal profits. That has clearly not happened.

I'm no banking expert, but I think the reason this hasn't happened is the difficulty banks have getting their money back when people default on their repayments in this country. Lengthy time in court and all the rest. Just not worth it. The local banks are lapping it up as a result and can charge obscene rates.

Back