dampness on outside wall in house

suicra05

I am living in a three bed semi-detached house. There is dampness on the outside wall in the small upstairs bedroom. The vent was blocked up but I opened it a few months ago, the dampness is still there. What is the best way to remove this dampness as it is beginning to smell and the wall/paint work is now damaged.

scrape off the mould and go too a paint shop and get B.I.N. primer its made by zinnzer its a shellac based primer,be carefull when you apply it as once it gets on something its very hard too get it off.give it 2 coats if its very bad with mould,then repaint the next day,that should sort it out for you ok.

dampness on the inside of your house is not something you can just paint over that's only a temp, solution to a possibly bigger problem!

that is true pftg5,but i can only guess on the situation,im just guessing with the vent blocked for a while that was what caused it ,and now that it is open again that this would fix up the cosmetic of the wall ,but too be safe suicra get a builder too have a look at it for piece of mind.

Jab1 Is correct to a point in what they say. 90% of what people call dampness inside a house actually comes from the inside . This is typical in a poorly ventilated room. Moisture hits a cold wall or a wall that is poorly insulated and gives rise to condensation which causes mould growth. circulation of air is important .Also if the heat was turned off in this room for a long period of time and the door and window closed then your walls are going to be colder just like the windscreen of your car in the morning is fogged up.If their was no insulation in the external walls then it would be advisable to get insulated plasterboard on it. but if you are sure you have insulation in the cavitys then the mould can be treated and paint applied but it wont go away until its treated. But ventilation is a must afterwards along with heat even if its occasionally.

Back