Damp specialist

saviro

Registered User
Messages
9
Hi - in the process of buying an old house in Dublin and the structural survey threw out a couple of comments regarding dampness in the walls.

It mentioned evidence of dampness in the structural walls, and that further investigation/repairs required to address the identified dampness. Also included a comment about the dry lining on the floor walls, and that they may conceal damp or mould problems not immediately visible. The recommendation was to remove the panelling to fully assess, but obviously as I'm not the owner this can't be done.

I've read mixed comments (here and elsewhere) about damp proofing specialists but if the bank come looking for a report then I may not have any choice but to get one to take a look and provide some costings. Would anyone be able to recommend one? I can send them on the relevant section from the survey, but I would assume they would need to access the house in order to provide an accurate enough quote.

Thanks
 
Hi - in the process of buying an old house in Dublin and the structural survey threw out a couple of comments regarding dampness in the walls.
Most cases of dampness in walls are caused by leaking roofs and guttering. Following that would be failed render or cracks in the external walls.

This thread includes a recommendation that has been posted here a few times over the years, but as you say they will require access to the house. If the owners won't facilitate access for such a survey, you are better off walking away.
 
A "damp specialist" job is entirely dependent on his finding "damp problems".
I wouldn't go near it.
The lender may require a specialist damp survey.
if the bank come looking for a report then I may not have any choice but to get one to take a look and provide some costings.
In any case a prospective buyer will almost certainly want to understand the extent of any possible damp issues before committing to the purchase and one way to do that is to get a damp specialist to do a survey/report.

I used the Damp Store (mentioned in the thread referenced above) years ago when looking at houses and was happy with their service.
 
The lender may require a specialist damp survey.
My solution to this was not to let the bank have my structural survey! The banks valuer put in a couple of comments, bank rang me about survey, because of that, told them I didn’t get one as have family experts, that we were doing a full refurb etc.

OP has to decide what to do now, vendors won’t let him in at walls etc…
 
A "damp specialist" job is entirely dependent on his finding "damp problems".
I wouldn't go near it.
In fairness, the dampness has already been diagnosed by a professional with nothing to gain from such a diagnosis.

There are plenty of cowboys in the dampness game that will push rising damn and easy for them, expensive for the client chemical DPCs as a solution, but a good specialist will know that does not resolve most problems and look at detailing around the roof/ wall junctions, windows fitting, etc. and help identify the likely sources.
 
Back
Top