damp in bathroom?

Jane Doe

Will leaving clothes from the washing machine to dry over bath cause damp in bathroom? I leave the window slightly open

I often dry clothes on an airing horse over bath with no problems provided there is a good air flow. Also leave door open. There is a moisture absorber about the size of a tub of ice cream, you can get in hardware stores and you can leave that in bathroom also. One tip, if you have heating in the bathroom, leave the rad on.

I often dry clothes on an airing horse over bath with no problems provided there is a good air flow
. Noted

Also leave door open.
I would have though closed as this would stop any moisture spreading to other rooms. Window open yes

There is a moisture absorber about the size of a tub of ice cream, you can get in hardware stores and you can leave that in bathroom also
.Thanks, I did not know of that will look out for one .

One tip, if you have heating in the bathroom, leave the rad on
I do

Thanks;)

. I would have though closed as this would stop any moisture spreading to other rooms. Window open yes

The damp air you wish to go out the window has to be replaced with air from somewhere else. Leaving the door open will allow for movement of air.

. Noted

I would have though closed as this would stop any moisture spreading to other rooms. <snip>

Views are mixed on this.

Rapid ventilation with a wide open window and closed door will get rid of most of the moisture in the air.

Leaving the heat on with the window ajar should take care of the rest of it.

Moisture can spread to other rooms, but like with anything else, its the concentration of moisture that counts together with cold bridges.

Air can absorb a significant amount of moisture and hold it - until it hits something cold.

So if you're leaving the door open monitor the rest of the house for a typical week to see if there are any damp patches on walls - near the top of the stairs or at windows in the bedrooms for example.

FWIW

ONQ.

Views are mixed on this.

Rapid ventilation with a wide open window and closed door will get rid of most of the moisture in the air.

Leaving the heat on with the window ajar should take care of the rest of it.

Moisture can spread to other rooms, but like with anything else, its the concentration of moisture that counts together with cold bridges.

Air can absorb a significant amount of moisture and hold it - until it hits something cold.

So if you're leaving the door open monitor the rest of the house for a typical week to see if there are any damp patches on walls - near the top of the stairs or at windows in the bedrooms for example.

FWIW

ONQ.
I agree with you on that actually

There is a moisture absorber about the size of a tub of ice cream, you can get in hardware stores .
I tried google on this and did not come up with much except amazon.
Edit Friend picked one up in hardware store for me around 6 euro

I wouldn't bother with the moisture absorbers to catch humid air from drying clothes in bathroom. I have a condenser dryer. I dry clothes outside in a covered area and then put them in a dryer for 20 mins. As previous posters have said drying clothes indoors is asking for mould to appear on cold surfaces.

Back