Damaged oil sump

dubliner56

Good evening. While driving to work yesterday morning the oil warning light came on the dashboard. I was 2-3 mins from my job. I parked up the car and checked the dipstick which showed no oil. Filled up with oil and then realised there was a leak. Got car towed to a garage. They called today to say there is quite a large hole in the oil sump and it appears that is was most likely hit by a rock. I have denied this as I would certainly know if a rock hit the underside of my car. I only have the car 6 months, it is 2 1/2 yrs old.Is it possible that this could have been damaged before I purchased car and was badly repaired which has caused it to leak again? I am going to get a 2nd opinion anyway but curious to know anyone's thoughts on this. Many thanks Dee.

Happened to me years ago with a former car (Seat Toledo) ...

car stopped and cut out, 4 men couldn't push it off the road - it was like the handbreak was on (which obviously it wasn't).

Like the original poster, I did not recall having hit anything but as it was explained to me, it's easily done on the likes of a speed ramp etc. also.

I'm interested in what you think would be gained by a second opinion.
The sump is either cracked or it isn't.The cause of it is immaterial.
Personally,I wouldn't be thinking of paying a second towing charge to be told the same thing.

A second opinion might confirm a previously bodged repair, but most likely this damage happened when you were driving it. A bodged repair would be more likely to result in a slow leak.

Changing suspension, a broken spring or leaking damper, different wheel / tyre sizes from the manufacturers' standard spec or leaving the undertray off can result in sump damage. Many sumps are made from aluminium and even over-tightening the steel sump-plug may cause cracks. Parking with wheels straddling kerbs, illegal of course, may also cause sump-damage.

You will find lots of double swing/ gates have a cane bolt/drop bolt there will be a spud stone in the center of the driveway / entrance for holding one of the gates closed so they other gate can be latched closed, You will often find this stone in the center is away higher than the ground around it,from time to time you will also see a gate stop sticking up out of the ground again in the center higher than the ground around it,

I know someone who must have hit there sump drain plug off one they never remember hitting there was a oil trail from a spud stone they know they went over ,
To this day they cannot be sure the oil trail came from there car ,They had to pay for the repair ,

In the case above for what it is worth the swing /double gates were removed but the high spud stone was still in place,

Last edited:
Talked with mechanic from the garage on Friday, so in his opinion the damage was most likely done by going over high ramp! I have no recollection of this happening. I drive a Seat Ibiza which is a low car so I guess it was very possible. I am collecting my car today with new sump in place. Many thanks for everyones replies. Dee

Back