Damaged my property - when/who should they pay?

pudzer

Hi

My property was recently damaged by a company doing work on my property. They admitted liability and asked me to get a quotation from a carpenter to fix the damage. I did this and they agreed with the price quoted by the carpenter.

What is their legal obligation now, do they:
(a) pay me and I pay the carpenter;
(b) pay the carpenter upon completion of his work;
(c) pay me now and let me pay the carpenter upon completion of the work;

Thanks for your help

If the work is done to your satisfaction and at no cost to yourself, does it really matter?

The problem is that the carpenter cannot it at the moment as he is out sick. I am only happy that 'my' carpenter fixes the mess as he was the one that originally built the unit. My fear is that the company I am dealing with may run into financial problems in the future. I would like some kind of payment now for the damage that was caused to my house so that I can get my own carpenter to fix it when he's better.

Can I ask them to pay me now?

Surely if you get them to pay for the damage in accordance with the estimate you have provided. When you get the work done is none of their business. As long as you give them a note that you are settled with the matter as a full and final settlement of the incident.

Back