Damaged Glass

A

akearins

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone can help us out on an issue with a house purchase.Basically we have agredd for the purchase of a house paid the deposit snagged etc.. however most of the glass in the windows in the house are scrapped quite badly.We have requested that they be replaced but are told simply "this happens on sites" and accpet it.
So far we have been told that some may be replaced but even new glass form the company who put in the windows couldnt supply better glass.
So can anyone assist in anyway.......

Do you know if it is "K" glass by any chance? "K" Glass scratches quiet easily. Even so - insist on it being replaced if it is quiet obvious.

We are doing that.One day we are told it will be replaced, well some anyway, next we are told it will not be replaced, different storey every time we get in contact with builders...

I got 6 scratched panels replaced in my apt before I moved in. I just insisted that I wouldn't sign-off unless they were replaced.

The excuse of "this happens on sites" can be thrown out the window (excuse the pun :D ). This only happens on sites through carelessness.

Had to have every window replaced downstairs in a standard 2 bed mid terrace - 2 patio door - and a 10 pane bay window included.

I told them I would ignore the tiny scratch or two upstairs if they replaced everything downstairs.

My argument was - would you buy a car with scratched windows :) ? And my house is 10 times the price of a car.

The windows were supplied by Munster joinery. Even the guy replacing the glass said he wouldn't accept the windows like that. You will really notice the scratches in direct sunlight.

I wouldn't close until the glass was replaced or I had it in writing from a solicitor that the panes would be replaced. I'd be specific to about the panes of glass you want replaced.

What happens is the builders open the windows for ventilation and the plastic protection is removed. This can be prevented if the builder protects the glass.

Best of luck

Hopefully someone can point us in the right direction on this.The situation now is that the builedr has refused to change the damaged glass but is offering a sum of money (less tha €500) as his final offer.
We have been informed that all we can do now is basically accept this, close the deal but then we have to sue the builder in the circuit court to get glass replaced.

Cannot understand then why he is offering money as final offer if he is saying glass i perfect?

Wat can we do

If you accept money, I would read the letter that is attached with it. It could state something along the lines of "full and final settlement". In which case you could run into trouble in court.

We too had scratched window panes when we were closing on our house. At first the builder said it 'just happens', but we wouldn't back down and eventually got all the panes replaced and the front door as well, which was also scratched.

He told me later that most builders have a contingency for scratched glass, damage to sanitary ware etc.

It's up to you, but I would dig my heels in and say it's not acceptable and you want them replaced.

You could perhaps, as AKA suggested, compromise and overlook some smaller scratches in order to get the badly scratched ones replaced.

Have you actually purchased the property? If not and you are so concerned about the scratched glass just walk away from it.
You can get your deposit back no problem. Dont listen to builder or auctioneer if they say otherwise. You arent committed until you sign the contract

Otherwise accept the money. First find out how much it will cost to replace the panes from the manufacturer

You ll be in a better position if the price of property in your area is stagnant and if they are having trouble selling any remaining units

Back