Dail debates - 23/10/12 Written Answers Nos. 433-442 (shared ownership)

leprechaunx

Shared Ownership Scheme

442. Deputy Catherine Murphy asked the Minister for the Environment, Community and Local Government his plans to allow those on shared ownership loans to switch to annuity or other similar loans; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [46461/12]

Minister of State at the Department of the Environment, Community and Local Government (Deputy Jan O'Sullivan):

Local authorities have long been the lenders of last resort servicing the housing loans needs of less affluent members of society. In the present economic circumstances, it is to be anticipated that the ability of some borrowers to service housing loans may become restricted and that a number of loans may fall into arrears.

Section 34 of the Housing (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2009 provides local authorities with powers to deal flexibly with distressed borrowers. They have demonstrated sensitivity over the years in dealing with such cases. In March 2010, my Department issued guidelines to local authorities, based on the Central Bank’s first Code of Conduct on Mortgage Arrears, which continued the tradition of handling arrears in a manner that is sympathetic to the needs of the particular household, while also protecting the position of the local authority concerned.

To reflect the content of the Central Bank’s revised Code of Conduct, which replaced the previous code from 1 January 2011 and was informed by the deliberations of the Expert Group on Mortgage Arrears and Personal Debt, my Department issued updated guidance in July 2012 to local authorities in consultation with the County and City Managers Association. This will further enable local authorities to provide a range of flexible repayment options for households in difficulty. In particular, the introduction of a Mortgage Arrears Resolution Process (MARP), which closely mirrors the suite of options available in the commercial sector, will present borrowers in difficulty with a range of alternative payment agreements, which can be accessed to ease the particular circumstances of each case. This process will feature a standard set of options including, in cases of certain unsustainable mortgages, the facility of mortgage-to-rent. Local authorities have been restructuring loans for some time using their own internal practices. The introduction of these revised guidelines will standardise the approach across the whole sector, introduce a systematic structure to this area and provide borrowers with a transparent and accessible model for arrears resolution. I expect that the adoption of these revised guidelines will serve simultaneously to help resolve mortgage difficulties for both local authorities and their borrowers.

In relation to the Shared Ownership Scheme specifically, the rent charged on the local authority’s equity in a shared ownership transaction is to cover the funding costs to the Housing Finance Agency which are based on borrowings at the prevailing interest rates. Any difference between the rent and prevailing interest rate is reflected in the capital outstanding on the property, i.e. if the rent charged in any period is greater than the prevailing mortgage interest due on the local authority’s share the purchase price of the outstanding equity will be reduced accordingly.

To take account of the current housing market conditions, the Government's housing policy statement, published in June 2011, announced the standing down of all affordable housing schemes, including the shared ownership scheme, in the context of a full review of Part V of the Planning and Development Act 2000. That review is now under way and is expected to conclude later in the year. Any future changes to legislation governing affordable housing schemes, including shared ownership, will be informed by that review.

Hi Lep

I gave this a miss from the outset because the title was vague and the post is too long. Its usually best to make a point like 'May be of interest to shared ownership' and then use the quote. To edit the title just click within it in the forum listing of threads. It would also help if you just linked to the appropriate page on the web so context can be added and then selectively quote some important bits.

Hi Lep,

Could you tell me where you can find this type of source material?? We have an A/H and are trying to remortgage with the view of adding an extension to our house. But when we contacted Dept Jan O'Sullivians office we were informed that the legislation was being changed this year.
But I want to know how to get these Dail debates so that in case the legislation is changed then we are aware of it and its not a few months later that we find out about it.
Thanks,
T.P

I think that the question and the answer really underline the problem with these loans.

It seems pointless to me asking for these loans to be allowed to be switched to annuity loans. They are a form of annuity loan anyway. I suspect that Catherine Murphy does not understand these loans. But she is not alone there.

Likewise, this terminology is very confusing.

In relation to the Shared Ownership Scheme specifically, the rent charged on the local authority’s equity in a shared ownership transaction is to cover the funding costs to the Housing Finance Agency

A SO scheme is just like any other loan. Except that they call the repayments "rent".

Brendan

Hi Lep,

We have an A/H and are trying to remortgage with the view of adding an extension to our house.

Hi Paul

The rate you are getting on your A/H is so good that you really should think long and hard before switching to a lender who will charge you at least 4.5% SVR.

You might find it cheaper to borrow from A Credit Union for the extension, if that was at all possible.

Thanks Brendan but our situation is a little different to the norm. Firstly our " mortgage" is with the Council and not a private institution as such. I agree about the lending rate in that it is good. However, trying to finance the extension through another lender is NOT possible as the Council still have the primary charge. This prevents us obtaining anything more than €15000 personnel loan from banks, credit unions etc. We have looked at all possibilities for the past 2 years to try and finance this extension and it seems that a change in legislation will be our only possible source of financing our extension.

Brendan,

The big item I would like to see in the legislation change is the removal of the primary place of residence clause thus enabling me to rent out my house.

However I won't hold my breath.

Is that in the actual legislation?

I very much doubt that it would be enforced if you tried to let your house.

Brendan

Under the current legislation the primary charge for the house remains with the Council until such time that the mortgage is paid off. I want this part changed in so much as to allow me approach a bank to seek a remortgage in order to build an extension. Currently a bacnk won't even bother to see me because as such I have collateral for a remortgage. If I didn't but the A/H in the first place, waited until the banks were "giving mortgages away" I'd be in a bigger home, nicer area, better faciltities etc etc.

Yes Brendan. I have it in writing from cork county council that under the current T&C'S of the scheme, the house has to be owner occupied and renting is not permitted.

Hi Lep

I gave this a miss from the outset because the title was vague and the post is too long. Its usually best to make a point like 'May be of interest to shared ownership' and then use the quote. To edit the title just click within it in the forum listing of threads. It would also help if you just linked to the appropriate page on the web so context can be added and then selectively quote some important bits.

Hi sorry for being an amatuer. I just wrote what it was i was posting.

It wont let me link either as im a newbie it wont let me reply either without moving the link.

Hi Lep,

Could you tell me where you can find this type of source material?? We have an A/H and are trying to remortgage with the view of adding an extension to our house. But when we contacted Dept Jan O'Sullivians office we were informed that the legislation was being changed this year.
But I want to know how to get these Dail debates so that in case the legislation is changed then we are aware of it and its not a few months later that we find out about it.
Thanks,
T.P

I I usually google "shared ownership" then use the location and time settings on the left and change them to to "ireland" and "the past month"

Back