Dail Bar

Maybe John Waters is onto something when he claims that the liberals are the most intolerant of others ?

Intolerance is not the preserve of the right or left, so-called liberal or conservative.
I don't think of Senator Norris as a liberal, he's way too intolerant of people who hold views he disagrees with to be called liberal.

I don't think of Senator Norris as a liberal

He certainly labels himself as one.

On another level, I can't help fearing that his behaviour yesterday is related in some way to his recent disclosure that he is undergoing treatment for cancer. Very sad.

Ah yes it has been another of couple of fine weeks for our esteemed politicians. It's surely time to look at the standard of the two houses when a so called debate ends up with someone being told that they are speaking through their fanny...... We really are lucky to have them.

Although having seen Regina Doherty on Vincent Browne last night, I can see why poor David was riled up. Even though I can't believe he talked about offering an intellectual argument for his comments. Brought me back to the presidential campaign and his other so called intellectual arguments about young gay men.

ItMaybe John Waters is onto something when he claims that the liberals are the most intolerant of others?

Nah, tis just the tolerance paradox which is common enough on any area of the political scale. You simply cannot be 100% tolerant otherwise we would have to tolerate homophobes, racists, and all other forms of sub human behaviour. So when anyone preaches tolerance it is always with the caveat that they only tolerate those who agree with them. As I say, features within an political or social grouping.

It is an interesting reaction to these incidents though from those involved and the media. If they were to happen in any other workplace I wonder which would be seen as the greater wrong. I personally would feel the pulling a female colleague onto my lap as being far more demeaning and offensive than Norris' outburst. But then Doherty has taken much greater offence than lapgate.

I personally would feel the pulling a female colleague onto my lap as being far more demeaning and offensive than Norris' outburst. But then Doherty has taken much greater offence than lapgate.

Both of which are in the ha'penny place when compared to something as serious as voting against the party line

It's a terrible pity the Seanad can't abolish the Dail at the same time as the Dail abolishes the Seanad and we can all start from scratch

Do you have to eligible to vote in Seanad elections, to be able to vote in for it's abolition / retention :rolleyes: ?

Back