Daft.ie told to remove discriminatory rental references such as age or professional or gender.

NewEdition

Just saw this:

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland...-argument-it-is-not-an-advertiser-945060.html

I want to rent a room in my house.
I intend to include in the advert something like the following:

1. Mature household looking for similar age group
  2. Work reference will be obtained
It seems that this is not allowed??
I know I can pick and choose who I take in as a tenant but I am not having somebody too young or somebody that cannot pay the rent.
Am I missing something?

Just saw this:

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland...-argument-it-is-not-an-advertiser-945060.html

I want to rent a room in my house.
I intend to include in the advert something like the following:

1. Mature household looking for similar age group
  2. Work reference will be obtained
It seems that this is not allowed??
I know I can pick and choose who I take in as a tenant but I am not having somebody too young or somebody that cannot pay the rent.
Am I missing something?
Who told you that this advert wasn't allowed?

Yes.. but how many people will I have to meet with to be able to eliminate the unsuitables?
I suppose I could try phone interviews first.

The same article on The Journal states:

These adverts included terms that read “rent allowance not accepted”, “suit family or professionals only”, “would suit young professionals” and “references required”.

What on earth!?!? References are a must in my opinion!!!

Why not put an advert card in your local supermarkets notice boards with your phone no and address. Then it's up to you and your own judgement who gets the room. That's the way it works, no nuclear science degree needed. BTW, I've found that rent a room doesn't bring too many problems as compared to renting a house, apt, etc. Good luck and come back and tell us how you get on, it will help others.

Once again another obstacle in the way of the Landlord. It is or has gotten to a stage where it is actually unviable to be a Landlord. If revenue is not being lost to tax its the Landlords time that suffers.

It's a landlord's market. Insist everyone writes an email telling you about themselves.

Then pick on the basis of the kind of person you want. When you reject someone, you have to be very careful. You can't say: "you're too old/I don't accept rent allowance/etc". You have to say something like: "Sorry, but you are not the successful candidate" and give no reasoning whatsoever.

In the US a few years ago some states banned boxes on job application forms which asked if applicants on criminal convictions. The logic was that black and hispanic men were more likely to have criminal convictions, so it was discriminatory. A study afterwards found that some employers responded by excluding all black and hispanic men from the hiring process, including the vast majority who had no criminal convictions!

I can't find the link but I remember a few years ago when daft were forced to ban the 'rent allowance not accepted' box. Ronan Lyons said that they got a ton of complaints from rent allowance recipients who were complaining that they were being forced to apply to landlords who wouldn't accept them anyway.

I put up a add recently for a short term let. Got a reply from daft that they wouldn't allow the add as I had written 'may suit family moving house or renovating'

The word family could be discriminatory. Substitute family for someone and no problem

Back