Dads' Maternity leave?

E

ein

What maternity leave if any is a dad entittled too following the brith of his child?

Re: Dads Maternity leave?

By negotiation with your employer, you may apply for up to 14 weeks unpaid parental leave, but I assume that's not what you mean(?).

My employer would not even entertain 2weeks least of all 14weeks unpaid, I will just have to let my holidays accumalate

Re: Dads Maternity leave?

My employer would not even entertain 2weeks least of all 14weeks unpaid, I will just have to let my holidays accumalate
Other than deferring the request initially your employer has no choice in this matter and it is a statutory right to avail of this leave and you cannot be victimised for doing so! See CitizensInformation for additional info - e.g.:
Apart from a refusal on the grounds on non-entitlement, an employer may also postpone the leave for up to six months. This must be done before the confirmation document is signed. Grounds for such a postponement include lack of cover or the fact that other employees are already on parental leave. Normally only one postponement is allowed.

There may also be an option to take Parental Leave in days or hours, if your employer agrees. Colleagues I know take two days per week (Monday and Friday) which suits them better than blocks of unpaid weeks.

There may also be an option to take Parental Leave in days or hours, if your employer agrees. Colleagues I know take two days per week (Monday and Friday) which suits them better than blocks of unpaid weeks.

Sounds brillant, that is some thing my employer would be more intrested in

Yes - but you should remember that Parental Leave is a statutory entitlement and while obviously there has to be give and take on both (employer and employee) sides it is not at the sole discretion of the employer to decide if and when this leave can be taken!

Yes - but you should remember that Parental Leave is a statutory entitlement and while obviously there has to be give and take on both (employer and employee) sides it is not at the sole discretion of the employer to decide if and when this leave can be taken!

Yes, point taken

Back