Dab radio.

battyee

Recently bought a DAB radio. Live in south dublin & can only get about 10 stations. The signal is fine mostly but it also vanishes altogether sometimes. Is this normal or have I bought a faulty radio ?

There are only ten stations in the RTE offering.

I lose signal from time to time as well, and I'm using a roof aerial. It seems to be susceptible to local electrical interference.

I bought a DAB radio and then discovered we dont really have DAB radio in Kildare. In fact, we dont seem to have much in the way of radio reception at all. It was not one of my more successful purchases.

I bought a Pure DAB radio a few months ago and can only get reception on the decking outside my backdoor! So, County Cork isn't any better!

I was wondering if my wi-fi could be interfering with the signal? I seem to get a strange screeching/whistling sound when it is off-station.

Anyway, I live in hope. Presumably, RTE will boost the signal at some stage!

Hi battyee,
Happen to hear on RTE radio today that there is a problem with digital broadcasts at the moment - so if you are in an area that normally can receive DAB just be patient and it'll be back soon :).

I think the best solution is a DAB/wifi/internet streaming radio. I'm currently researching buying one of these and it seems that they cover all the bases. Certain models that use Reciva software also seem to be able to pick up the BBC radio stations.

This to me seems to be the best option as I don't think my location is able to pick up DAB signals according to the coverage maps. It also future proofs your radio if and when digital radio expands in Ireland.

Jeanne seems to have it right. I live approx. half way between the 3 rock & RTE Donnybrook masts so if I continue to have daily outages what chance have others who have bought DAB radios in Ireland? I would strongly advise potential purchasers to wait until they can be assured of getting a reliable service.

Back