Cycling Insurance

elcaro

I wish to get Cycling Insurance as a commuting cyclist (not a competition cyclist).

I want to insurance against the risk of injuring myself and 3rd parties.

I'm not particularly interested in inuring my bike for damage or theft.

I guess the car insurance analogy is "3rd party fire and theft" without the "fire and theft" bit!

Is there such an insurance product available?

you mean your public liability against other parties? Covered by contents cover on your household insurance.

Injuring yourself? You'll have to take out personal accident cover. Or just be careful!

Yes - public liability against other parties e.g. if my bikes collides with some-one causing injury.
I didn't think home insurance would cover this.

I suppose personal accident cover could cover the scenario where I get injured.

Hi elcaro

Interesting question.

I have not heard of any claims against cyclists for personal injuries, but I guess that there must be some from time to time.

I was taken off my bike by a careless cyclist last year, but it wouldn't have occurred to me to claim. On another occasion, a guy overtook me on the inside at speed, but I avoided him.

If you are type of personality who thinks about insurance, you are probably a very safe cyclist. I would have thought it so unlikely to result in a claim that it would be a waste of money.

Personal accident cover as suggested by pete would cover other accidents as well e.g. if a cyclist bumped into you while you were walking.

Brendan

I've been considering insurance, but with the emphasis on theft/damage losses, not 3rd party liability. Of the companies I've looked at, one offers cover including public liability. (There were 2, but Cyclesure.ie has just ceased accepting new business). Unfortunately for the OP, they don't seem to offer policies that provide liability cover only - it's all or nothing: theft, damage, personal accident and public liability. If you don't mind paying extra for the theft/damage/personal injury, it seems that you will get liability cover from [broken link removed] (I have no idea if they are any good or not).

Paul

Very interesting

upload_2017-7-11_19-4-43.png
It says that public liability is included as standard, but the Terms and Conditions say

upload_2017-7-11_19-5-58.png

I went through the process of taking out the insurance and it wanted payment before I could see the policy schedule.

I have no idea if it's worth anything or not.

Brendan

....I went through the process of taking out the insurance and it wanted payment before I could see the policy schedule.....

Hello Mr. Burgess,

I wonder if they would provide you with a copy of the policy schedule, if you requested same ? Failing that, is there a cooling off period if you want to withdraw from the policy, having paid and then seen the policy schedule ?

In principal, I think it is great that cyclists are considering insurance (for the benefit of both themselves and others). With more cyclists likely to appear around Dublin and perhaps other counties in the coming years, I would fear there will be more accidents so I would encourage everyone to do what they can to protect themselves.

Hi elcaro

Interesting question.

I have not heard of any claims against cyclists for personal injuries, but I guess that there must be some from time to time.

I have. A relation of mine collided with a pedestrian after he (my relation) broke the red light on his bike. He did some serious damage to the cyclist.

Back