Cycling accident in pedestrian underpass - is council liable?

• Thread starter elpresdentde
  • Start date
E

elpresdentde

I was going into a pedresian tunnel under the dual carriageway and I was cycling down and I hit a burnt out car and dislocated a finger and with a slight fracture and some unpleasant facial bruising. my question is isent it the councils responability to move get get rid of that rubbsh so would the council be liable to pay my medical bills and to pay for my lost wages

Re: is the councli liable

Wouldn't cycling down a pedestrian underpass constitute a level of contributory negligence that might significantly undermine any claim that you might have?

My head hurt reading that.

I think Clubman may have a point - I presume you had you bicycle light on and were cycling slowly so as to be aware of any people that may be walking in this pedestrian tunnel ?

Also the council will only be liable if they are deemed to be negligent ie they knew about the burnt out car and decided to ignore it

Actually my main point was that if it was a pedestrian only underpass/tunnel then s/he should not have been cycling at all.

im sorry about the grammer. what i mean by pedestrian underpass is that their was a footpath and a tared section fo bikes

Then you may have a case — but for God's sake run a spellcheck on the letter before you send it in!

Where was it? I've never seen a pedestrian underpass with a cycle track... :confused:

You mean no lights on your bike or no lights in the underpass? If it's the former then surely that's contributory negligence on your part? Have you asked a solicitor for an opinion on the strength of your claim?

no lights on the underpass. i had lights on my bike

Sorry but is this whole thread a wind up or something? If not and you are really serious about pursuing this then you should consult with a solicitor. Chances are they will not charge you anything to tell you if your claim has merit or not.

ClubMan said:
Sorry but is this whole thread a wind up or something?
I had a good laugh anyway reading it....... should be moved to "The Craic" section...

Back