cv improving & updating

jmsm

Hi has anyone used a website or company to help with CV writing. I think mine could with a serious overhaul - I have looked at www.myhorizon.ie and it seems ok but would appreciate any comments from someone who had used this service

Thanks

How much is it costing ? A friend paid over 400 euro for a similar service and ended up with a 4 page CV !...the industry recommendation seems to be 2 page max.

Where are you based or are you on Job Seekers Benefit or Allowance ? FAS in Galway ran a good Career Reorientation course in 2009 that might suit.

pm

I'm a firm believer that you should have a "core" CV and then tweak it to suit whatever job you are applying for. I'm not saying tell fibs, but depending on the ad, you may need to stress some of your achievements for one job, other achievements for another job. CVs from people operating a shot gun approach and applying for anything with no thought gone into it are easily spotted and usually binned

Secondly, keep it relatively straightforward and remember the CV is not there to get you the job, it exists to get you the interview. Personally, I like to read CVs that are consise, with bullet points as opposed to dense paragraphs of text. Stress your achievements.

Don't forget the cover letter, always an opportunity to to add a couple of extra paragraphs (short). Spell check it, and don't use the US version.

I'd check what services you get from this company and what they charge, €400 as mentioned in another post, to me is a rip off, a good book or some digging online will give you plenty of tips to follow

Also have a look at the Trinity College CV section for some advice / cv templates:

[broken link removed]

thanks a million for these - well the service on myhorizon - which is linked to irishjobs or maybe recruit ireland is €55
I don't mind doing it myself it was mainly to get other view points etc i.e. not my husband or my sister!!!
and 55 didn't seem too much - however i don't want to be wasting it either
i'll look into everyone's ideas tho thanks
I'm in cork and waiting for an appointment with FAS (its set up by the SW office) so i'll look into that too

Thanks again

thanks a million for these - well the service on myhorizon - which is linked to irishjobs or maybe recruit ireland is €55
I don't mind doing it myself it was mainly to get other view points etc i.e. not my husband or my sister!!!
and 55 didn't seem too much - however i don't want to be wasting it either
i'll look into everyone's ideas tho thanks
I'm in cork and waiting for an appointment with FAS (its set up by the SW office) so i'll look into that too

Thanks again

Hi jmsm, I'm involved with such a company. PM me for details and I'll happily give a free review and forward my details and website to you.

Not sure what they can do for 55 euro - probbably an hours work.

You will need to review your experience and extract your skills, talents, achievments etc and then format the CV.

Is the 55 fee just an initial review and what is the cost for additional work ?

I was thinking that myself picassoman - it says its for a complete review and you get back a better CV but i was wondering how good it would be - hence my query about whether anyone had used the service.

Thanks for your comments

Back