Cut off One Parent Payment??? UNFAIR

tinker-bell

Hi

I have been receiving one parent allowance for over 2 years. I have 2 children, both with the same father. We broke up a few months after having our first child and have not lived together since. He lives close by with his mother and he sees his children a lot. I live in one of his mothers house with my 2 children. He pays 70 a week maintenance and half the utility bills. I have the use of his car for the school runs etc and i do not pay rent. My payment was means tested due to the support i was receiving from him. I was receiving 191 per week.

I now want to start working and have secured a job under the CE scheme and have enrolled for a course due to start in May.

So in order to start the job, my payment had to be increased for the second child. ( i did not realise I had to apply for second child) so a back payment for a year is due. I had been in contact with the inspector and explained the situation of starting work etc and the next thing I get a letter cutting me off my payment. Reason...Co-habiting! This is so wrong. Because I am getting support from my ex they think there is more going on. If thats not bad enough, I cant start the job either cos I need to be in receipt of a payment. I have appealed but im getting no where.

The job is due to start monday and I still don't know if I can do it. Not alone, what am I going to live on if they cut it off for good?

Can they do this? I am not co-habiting. I am considering the solicitor route or TD route??

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

...... I live in one of his mothers house ......... He pays 70 a week maintenance and half the utility bills. I have the use of his car ..............and i do not pay rent.

I'd think you were cohabating too! How far away does he live? How do you actually share the car?

Paying half the utility bills and sharing the car would lead any reasonable inspector to infer that you were living together.

He Lives About 2 Minutes Down Road. Well, Won't They Have To Prove Im Cohabating? He Lives With His Mother Who Has Cancer And Needs Someone There 24/7. I Do Not See How You Think Im Cohabating? If I Was Cohabating Wouldnt I Say I Paid All The Bills Myself And Pay Rent Etc. Claim A Bit More??? He Feels Obliged To Make Sure His Children Are Looked After And Gives The Best He Can. Wheres The Crime In That????

I think the posters are playing devils advocate - to be honest the more you say the more it looks like co-habiting. I still haven't figured out the bit about the second child yet, plus the 2 minutes and the being at home to help the mother - would he be at home of the mother wasn't sick?

Do you eat together? Is he over most evenings? Does he have any clothes/toothbrush etc in the house you are renting?

Errmmm, You Dont Have To Live With Someone To Have A Child U Know. Should I Be Asking For More Maintenance So I Can Pay My Own Bills Myself And Buy A Car?? Move Out And Pay Rent? Claim More Benefits Like Rent Allowance, Household Benefits? Im Trying My Best Here To Get Trained Get A Job And Come Off Benefits And Be Self Sufficient.

He Calls When He Can, He Has No Cloths Here Or Toothbrush! He Adores His Children As Ive Said Before. He Doesnt Eat Here That Often But Yes He Has Done.

Why are you starting every word with a capital letter ?
Makes the post very difficult to read.
If you broke up after birth of first child, why is he the father of your second child? Sounds like an on-off relationship.

I guess you'd have to find out how the inspector determines cohabation. What are the criteria.

Tinkerbell, your posts come across like youre shouting with the capitalisation.

All that is happening here is people are offering their opinion to try to understand why your payments have been cut off.

This is clearly not a black and white situation.

It does sound like you are co-habiting. He pays half of all bills and utilities, you dont pay rent, he is 2 minutes away minding his mum, you have 2 children together, you get to use his car for school runs.

I am not saying that you dont co-habit, but it surely sounds like you do.

Can you not get a part time job while the kids are in school?

Errmmm, You Dont Have To Live With Someone To Have A Child U Know. Should I Be Asking For More Maintenance So I Can Pay My Own Bills Myself And Buy A Car?? Move Out And Pay Rent? Claim More Benefits Like Rent Allowance, Household Benefits? Im Trying My Best Here To Get Trained Get A Job And Come Off Benefits And Be Self Sufficient.

yes, that's pretty much it

sorry caps lock was on. all i can say about the second child is it was a mistake. but i would not change the world for her. and im glad she is here. everyone seems dead set against me. im doing nothing wrong. just trying to make an honest living and become something. i should probably have mentioned earlier that he is in another relationship. it is over between us. if i get taken off this payment...we will literally starve to death.

He Calls When He Can, He Has No Cloths Here Or Toothbrush! He Adores His Children As Ive Said Before. He Doesnt Eat Here That Often But Yes He Has Done.

Will you go easy on the capitals please.

You have no choice but to go through the appeals process. My approach would be to be upfront about how it all seems very cosy but that they are wrong to refuse you based on the facts - there is no need for emotional stuff about where babies came from or who loves who how much.

Just saw your last post - your sorted if he marries or announces his engagement to this other girl - maybe an announcement in the paper would clinch it for you. I wonder would she give evidence for you.:eek:

if i get taken off this payment...we will literally starve to death.[/quote]

You will not starve to death - your partner is clearly looking out for your interests. With so many single parents abusing this system it is highly likely that the Dept will make mistakes. Go through their Appeals process. Can you take on some childminding or other suitable part time work to help make ends meet?

It strikes me that the single parents allowance is very anti-family. There is a financial incentive not to get back with your ex partner and the father of your children. (Through my job I regularly get calls from girls asking if they can rent a property whilst claiming RA and single mother benefits and have their boyfriend live with them too - I'm not judging the practice as such but just saying from own observations it seems to be widespread).

FYI, I wasn't 'judging' you or anything else, just giving you a different perspective on how your situation appears to an outsider.

Hi Tinkerbell,

I understand that there is currently a drive on behalf of the Dept to cut down on Welfare fraud, your circumstances where there is a friendly and financially beneficial relationship between your Children's father and yourself may ring warning bells with them, they may find it easier to understand a situation where there is no financial help unless court ordered!! It sounds like they are playing hard ball with you and your only route is to appeal.

In regard to your course, you could maybe approach the course provider and advise that you have been in receipt of Lone Parent allowance, are not working but there is an scheduled appeal to a decision they took on your status and allowance?

Good luck.

Back