Customs Calculation

lemon1984

Registered User
Messages
22
Just wondering about calculating the customs value for something purchased online outside the EU. I wanted to buy something online from the US and import it. The item is on sale for 70% off, like outlet price kind of thing. I buy it online for the 70% off price, plus shipping. When I import it into Ireland will they calculate customs based on what I paid or based on what the original price was before the sale? I am not trying to get around paying tax, I'm more than happy to import and pay it as it will still be a way better deal than here but I'm pretty sure the invoice that comes with it will say something like $200 minus 70% total $60 etc plus say $20 shipping.
 

Nutso

Frequent Poster
Messages
508
So if for e.g. your total cost is $60 + $20 shipping, your VAT and customs charge will be based on $80 - approx €73 at today's rates (landed cost of the item into Ireland). You'll pay VAT @ 23% and I think the customs charge is around 12% so a total of approx 35% - about €25. Depending on how it's sent you may also be liable for an admin fee from delivery for collecting this charge, which is usually somewhere between €6-€10.

When I imported some items before, customs contacted me before delivery and asked me to provide a copy of the invoice and a copy of the visa/bank card charge. They calculated the amount and let me know in advance. I can't remember if I had to pay this online somewhere or to the delivery driver.

Equally when I provided proof another time that the item was below the threshold for customs/VAT they released it without charge.
 

lemon1984

Registered User
Messages
22
Perfect! Just wanted to make sure it was only on the price I actually paid for the item and not what they advertised its original RRP was. Thanks :)
 
Top