Curtain Rails

L

legend99

This came up before. I have, it turns out, 100mm of empty space between the platser, plaster boards, insulation and just empty space it seems in the living room. This is all super dooper until one tries to hang a curtin rail. The fittings won't take more than a 6mm screw/hammer in fitting. But the longest 6mm screw and plug one seems to be able to get is only 100mm. So I have a fitting that takes a screw that doesn't even reach concrete block, never mind actually penetrate it 30mm+.

So other than me getting a length of wood and using 10mm X 135mm screws to mount the wood and then screwing the fittings to the wood itself, can anyone come up with a suggestion that would allow me to mount the curtain direct without using an ugly length of wood.

Legend, Try and find the wooden studs behind the plaster board, I heard they should be no more than 17" apart. You could be lucky and find they fall at the right place to hang the curtain correctly, a stud finder gadget would do this no bother.

Have you heard of/considered butterfly bolts? You should, with a bit of patience, be able to get a size suitable for the curtain rail mounts, and once in place and tightened, they will hold a surprising amount of weight.

Know the ones you mean Sunny. The ones that have the spring toggle in them I take it?
Only problem is, the only way you'd find out if they would hold the curtain is to put everything up. An dyou'd know they wouldn't hold it whren the thing crashed down on you cracking the plasterboard as it did it!

Re: ..

these things can support the weight of a telly so i dont think curtains wold be much of an issue

Eamonn,
We are talkling about the mettle ones that have a V in them. You drill quite a large, circa 12-14 mm hole, squueze the V together, push it through the hole and then tighten the screw into it, such that the back of the v is held against the plaster board....but doesn't that mean that the weight of the curtains is basically being held by the plasterboard???

We are talkling about the mettle ones that have a V in them. You drill quite a large, circa 12-14 mm hole, squueze the V together, push it through the hole and then tighten the screw into it, such that the back of the v is held against the plaster board
Hi legend,
that's exactly the ones I'm talking about. The first time I used them, it was to hold a c.50kg "box" to a stud wall, with just 4 of them. I was s***ing it that it would fall, but, alas, it's still there, and rock solid! Maybe just use a few more than if it were conventional screws.
Now I think about it though, won't the 12-14mm hole be a problem? Would it be feasible to fix the curtain rail to the ceiling rather than to the wall?

Presume you mean my problem might be that the hole would be so wide as to be visible because the fitting would not cover it entirely?. We'd rise above that...could fill the visible semi-circle with painters mate etc...if thats what you mean.

Can't fix to ceiling. 9 and a half feet ceilings....(Selling point of house in the fecking brouchre!!!). These curtains are for sliding door, so no way in the world the curtains would be 9.5 feet long!!!

One more thing though, if the plaster board has the 1 inch foam aeroboard on the back, and I know it does, would that stop m yspring opening fully....can't recall how much recoil is on those springs?

Presume you mean my problem might be that the hole would be so wide as to be visible because the fitting would not cover it entirely?.
Yeah, not just that, but the fact the bracket for the rail would actually go through the hole. But ok, fill the hole, with something which sets hard.
Good high ceilings!
As regards the foam back, I don't think that will hinder you too much, and the "wings" should just bite through that when you tighten them up.

No, the bracket would defo not punch through. of course, becaude the holes on the bracket are close together, the max scress I could put in would be 2. Its one of those white rails, with strings. The part that screws up is about 2.5 inches by maybe 1-1.5 inches. The 2.5 inches is the horizontal part, the 1.5 inches is across. it is drilled with 6 holes. Obviously you wouldn;t use all 6, I had used 2 of them in the upstairs rooms. Upsatris its only about 65mm before you hit concrete....
Thanks for the ideas, I'l lwork on it over the weekend!

Back