Currys / PC World - purchase of laptop

Juddy

I purchased Laptop for my daughter for college and when I looked at the paperwork the next day I spotted that they had signed me up to 8.99 per month cover plan. I got it reversed with multiple apologies. I demanded some form of compensation. Had a call from store manager yesterday and he's now claiming that I signed a Direct Debit mandate. I asked him to put a copy in the post so I can see it (I'm quite a distance from the store) but he's refusing to do this - claims Data Protection Act prevents him.

Is there anyone out there had similar experience and if there is, how did you get it resolved?

My advice (for what it's worth)
They signed you up in error, you got it reversed, let it go, life's too short.

My advice (for what it's worth)
They signed you up in error, you got it reversed, let it go, life's too short.

I'd agree. Would they not have talked you through any of that? Also surprised that you would have shared details for setting up a direct debit, that should already raise some questions.
What compensation would you be looking for anyways?

I didn't give them any bank details, which is why I'm suspicious about this 'signed' DD mandate. Paid with my credit card and this is where the 8.99 was going to be charged to.
Just curious if this was a one-off or if there's more out there that experienced this. It just smelled of sharp practise to me.

I hope the laptop will work out ok ... I think if you search this forum and similar sites such as Boards.ie you will find many people have had difficult experiences (unrelated to yours) with this particular company.

I've bought laptops at Curry's/PC World several times before. Yes, they did offer to sign me up to a support plan, but were quite explicit about it and I would never touch such a thing with a barge pole. Maybe the OP just didn't realise what was going on.

I've had no gripes about the company other than the disparity in prices between their UK and Ireland shops. I bought two laptops online from their UK store last year, but when I tried to buy another the following month they suddenly discovered that they "don't ship to Ireland". I'd imagine that the gougers in the Irish shop realised that the post-Brexit-referendum currency drop was killing them.

Bit ott looking for compensation really, for what? trauma and stress! You got it cancelled I presume before they took a payment.

I haven't bought much there, but any time I have it has been quite clear when they've tried to up-sell the extended cover. Many similar retailers have similar practices, and others are more pushy about it than PC World.

It sounds like the underlying issue has already been resolved quite easily. Having suffered no loss, how do you think you have any entitlement to compensation?

I recently bought a television in Currys/PC World and noticed a hard-sell to get me to take out this protection cover. I refused when offered and the sales guy told me he would check with his manager and see if he could get a better price for me for the television. He came back and told me that he would knock €20 off the price if I signed up for the extended cover. He also told me I could cancel after the first month once I had signed up. I told him I still wasn't interested but wasn't impressed with the sales technique used. They are obviously pushing this cover on people who really don't need it as most items are covered by home insurance policies (if listed).

I purchased Laptop for my daughter for college and when I looked at the paperwork the next day I spotted that they had signed me up to 8.99 per month cover plan. I got it reversed with multiple apologies. I demanded some form of compensation. Had a call from store manager yesterday and he's now claiming that I signed a Direct Debit mandate. I asked him to put a copy in the post so I can see it (I'm quite a distance from the store) but he's refusing to do this - claims Data Protection Act prevents him.

On the contrary you are entitled to see a copy of the DD mandate. See https://www.dataprotection.ie/docs/Accessing-Your-Personal-Information/r/14.htm

Back