"Current Tax Clearance Certificate(s)" what is it/how do I get one?

Marie

Perhaps someone who understands the tax system better than I do (returned emigrant) would advise.

I have a PPS Number from 4 years employment in Ireland in the late 1960's. The remainder of my working life was in UK. I returned to Ireland when I retired from the NHS in 2011, and live on my UK State Pension and an NHS pension.

I have been asked to provide a "Current Tax Clearance Certificate(s)" as I am applying for an afforestation licence under the Native Woodland Scheme which attracts a small annual grant. I do not farm the land, am not registered with GLAS for subsidies, am living in the farmhouse which I have renovated and on which I pay property tax to local council..........no other income, no other liability.

In my circumstances what do I need (and where to I apply!) for a "Current Tax Clearance Certificate"? Neighbours who are joining the Scheme simply applied to the local Revenue Office and were given a reference number but they are either farmers registered with GLAS or work full or part-time and pay tax on their income in Ireland. I have not had income from employment, or paid tax on it, since the late 1960's so there is nothing "current".

I returned to Ireland when I retired from the NHS in 2011, and live on my UK State Pension and an NHS pension.
I assume your tax affairs in Ireland are up to date?
Thats all a tax clearance certificate states.
You need to apply to Revenue (form TC1 if you don't have inline access for Revenue).
Your PPS number is active if you're paying property tax.
I've never seen one for someone not paying income tax, so your local tax office might be best starting place. They may require details of pension payments.

Yes RedOnion everything up-to-date and property tax up-to-date. Shall take it to local tax office with this years' P60 which shows tax paid on pension for past financial year. Thank you for advice.

Do you have a login for revenue online?
If you've got a P60 you should be able to request the tax clearance online.

Sorry, when you mentioned the PPSN from years ago I assumed you had no current dealings with Revenue.

Last edited:
I'd the P60 a UK P60? If your income is a foreign pension, it needs to be declared and taxed where you are tax resident.

Thanks Red Onion and RCO - Yes - I have an annual P60 from UK Pensions Agency. I have contacted Revenue (through great help from local Citizens' Advice) who confirm I have a live status and need annual tax returns based on pension income. Thanks to all.

Back