Current racism rows

MrMan

What are peoples views on the current racism rows in football and golf?
Personally I don't see how either John Terry or Steve Williams could be described as rascist in either scenario.
I think the race card is being used too easily and people are now afraid not to side with the perceived victim for fear of being seen as a bigot themselves.

Well, John Terry is a figure I want to believe the worst of, so wait 'til there's proof, or formal charges.
Steve Williams was looking to insult and belittle Woods, and used skin colour in that context, so that counts as racism.

If Woods responded and wanted to stick it to Williams white arsehole would there be cries of racism? I think not.

Williams is nasty and classless but I don't see racism
I wasn't expecting that to get past the swear filter :p

Mods, before I get an infraction over language, it's in relation to the quote that was used

If Woods responded and wanted to stick it to Williams white arsehole would there be cries of racism? I think not.

A strange turn of phrase as it's the one part of the body that is probably the same colour for everyone (though I am open to correction as I am no expert, or even interested amateur, on the subject)!

I hadn't thought of that
You have me stumped, I don't know

All I did was switch around the quote

Well, John Terry is a figure I want to believe the worst of, so wait 'til there's proof, or formal charges.
Steve Williams was looking to insult and belittle Woods, and used skin colour in that context, so that counts as racism.

even though it was a crass thing to say, surely using 'black' is descriptive rather than racist.

Using any adjective in an insult is usually derogatory rather than descriptive. If the adjective describes a person's skin colour, it's safe enough to assume it's a racist comment.

Any comment can be dissected and misconstrued, but to then use the term racist leaves a mark that can be very damaging. I don't see why using the word black carries so much weight these days.

Using any adjective in an insult is usually derogatory rather than descriptive. If the adjective describes a person's skin colour, it's safe enough to assume it's a racist comment.

Surely this is a specific personal insult to an individual rather than a whole race.

If I call him a black sporting icon am I praising a whole race?

Back