Current Accounts - going to lose free banking - where to move to?

Ryan

I have my current account and some savings with PTSB but as I'm no longer a student will not be entitled to free banking anymore. I won't be able to make the €1500 monthly lodgement for at least a year from now so I'm wondering are there better deals elsewhere or am I just better off paying the €12 per quarter?

You should be able to transfer 1500 from your savings account to your current account and back again to get free banking. Of course that won't work for a regular saver savings account because of the €1000 monthly lodgement limit.

If you dont need direct debit/standing order/overdraft facililties you could open a demand savings account with BOI and have your salary paid into that directly. This account attracts no fees but the drawback is you lose some current account functionality. Worth a look.

You should be able to transfer 1500 from your savings account to your current account and back again to get free banking. Of course that won't work for a regular saver savings account because of the €1000 monthly lodgement limit.

Yeah, also the 1,500 EUR does not need to be in one go. You can wire money in and out until your reach 1,500 EUR.

I have my savings in a PTSB Booster Bonus Account so would need to change that if I'm to make that option work.
Do I just transfer a few hundred over and back each month then?

If you make withdrawals from the Bonus Booster account you will no longer receive the bonus interest on the account. So, the best thing to do would be to open a PTSB Online Instant Access Account which will pay 2% regardless of how many withdrawals you make. Transfer all your saving into that and then close the Bonus Booster Account.

In order to satisfy the condition of lodging 1500 per month in to the current account you can login to your online banking once a month and move enough money back and forth between the two accounts to total 1500. For example, you can, in one session, move 500 from the savings account to the current account and back three times and you have satisfied the conditions. You don't have to leave the money in the current account.

Yeah, dreadful article.

3. No mention of the fact that there is free banking for those aged under 18, 60+, students, graduates and those eligible for Basic Payment Accounts.
4. The article also states that AIB will charge for contactless payments from February 2017, this is not confirmed and AIB have said they are likely to extend their waiver with contactless payments.

I've recently read a few articles and none off them mention EBS Money Manager. I can understand some price comparison sites not mentioning EBS because they are probably not getting a 'cut' but surely journalists should be more aware.

Back