Currency conversion for property

O

Oscarpuppy

Hi
When in doubt alwways ask the experts. I'm about to switch over a substantial amount of money to a bank in America, its for a downpayment on a house.
I'm wondering whats the best deal out there as regards currency conversion, does everyone take slice. I want to move half soon while the Euro is still up and the other half in a month if its doesn't go higher. Any leads

thanks

PS
Also to give something back .for would be investors, think there's still value there for people in for the long term. $186,000 1200 sqft 2 bed and garage all appliances fully finished. Its 35 min (non rush hour) from the city itself, LaGrange plush area is 20 mins away (lovely village feel). Lennar Homes is the builder, don't work for them but have been looking for 6 months for a place like this. 2 minutes drive away my sister in laws house, which is identical is 225,000 and a similar class area.

Are you moving the money in to a holding escrow account?

Did you use an Irish bank to transfer the money?

I have been using xe trade to transfer money.

They offer a good rate about .7 off the mid market rate (the rate between what the banks buy a currency at and what they sell it at). This is where they make their money. Irish Banks usually charge somewhere between 2-3 cent of the mid market rate from what Ive seen.

XE charge about $10 or so for wire charges. All pretty straight forward! It is a good reliable service but it does not offer any advice as to whether the currency you are dealing in is going to gain or fall against the currency you are selling.

I have to transfer more money so I have been considering using a company called HiFX, is their website. They offer an advisery service which predicts currency rates. I have yet to apply for the service so cant say whether they are any good so have a look at their website and decide for yourselves!

Hope this helps
M2f

Last edited:
Hi Oscarpuppy,
Where in the USA did u purchase? Best of luck with it. Sounds like a good deal. Are you going to live in it or rent it out? What are rental prospects like if you're going with that option?

Thanks
Jennifer...

Try Anglo Irish dealing room and see what they offer. They are very good in Europe, don't know about USA. Worth a call anyway.

I have used a couple of companies large and small (typically the bigger the company the more they rip you off) I found smart currency pretty good thou.

Im looking at buying an apartment in prague with the help of some Czech friends. I can be their neighbour:)

would this advice apply to me also? if applied to converting euro into Czech Korunas?

For anywhere in Europe, Anglo Irish definitely well worth checking out. Stay away from AIB, BOI etc.

Back